plant stocking list - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
plant stocking list

I hope to start the breakdown and cleanup of my tank this weekend. Which would put me to ordering plants in the next week or so. Maybe right after Christmas at the latest.

Are these going to be ok for a 29 gallon tank, both to start with and to mature with?

rotala rotundifolia
heteranthera zosterifolia
alternanthera reineckii
echinodorus schlueteri
myriophyllum simulans
anubias barteri v. coffeefolia
anubias barteri v. nana
ludwigia repens
eleocharis acicularis

I know some of these like the anubias will be fine to start in the tank as they are easy to take care of. Are any of the plant giong to give me fits in these areas?

1. finding them
2. planting them in a new tank
3. planting them in a beginners first tank

Please let me know what plant and what area may give me problems thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
We need to know about the tank, light, CO2, ferts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

OOpps. Sorry

29 gallon tank
2-65 watt cf 10k light
1-65 watt actinic (useless, but looks nice)
diy pressurized co2 and diy protein skimmer diffusor
emperor 400 filter
aquaclear 802 power head
substrate:
thin layer of peat
1/2" liginit (if affordable and in stock) or flourite
2 1/2" soilmaster select charcoal
1/2" topping of sand

Have not got the tank running so no fertilizers yet. Like I said above the tank is not even cleaned out yet. For the most part I am looking for problems with plant size, compatability in temps, ph and other things, and ease of killing them. I don't want to waste money on plants that are not going to work in a small tank. Like a brazilian sword, It might be a great plant in a 75 gallon tank, but will dominate to much in a 29 gallon.

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I dont see any plant problems but if you have 195 watts over the tank I do! So you have 3 65 watt bulbs on the tank or 2 65 watt bulbs?

With 130 you should really think about pressurized CO2, you may have problems with DIY

Why are you thinking of using flourite, sand and soilmaster? Just pick one flourite or soilmaster

|
|
|
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I will be using pressurized co2 as noted earlier. Also one of the bulbs is an actinic bulb so it really won't act on the plants like a regular bulb, the color band is not used by them.

I was thinking of using the flourite to provide some of the nutrients to be able to cut down on the fertilizer dosing that I would have to do. I think the soil master is an inert base right? The sand will be just for looks and to make planting a little easier. The weight of the sand will allow me to keep the plants in the ground easier than the light substrate of the soil master. Is this thinking correct or has my research completely fooled me? Please by all mean I am still learning the very basics, I have not even started to get the tank together just researching. If any of my thinking is off base let me know!!!! Thanks!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Lose the actinic. 130w of light is plenty. The actinic may not act on plants, but it will promote algae. If you want that blue-ish moonlight effect, you should get a couple LED moonlights and run them when the other lights are off. That looks nice too.130w over a 29g is high light. 195w over a 29g is insane, unless its some SPS reef tank.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Will do on loosing the actinics. I had been looking for a reason to invest in some led lights. Now I have a reason to tell my wife why I need to spen some more money!!
This is/was a sps tank a few months back. Then I had a problem, could never track down what it was, but lost all of my acroporas in about 2 weeks time. I tested water, checked feeding of micros and everything. The only thing I could come up with was that the micors I was feeding had possible been bad and the bad food killed them. It was a shame, I had blue and green acros growing like crazy! Was just about ready to trade some frags in for cash when it hit. Lost about $250 in coral! I now just have two fish and 35 lbs of live rock in there. I took the remaining corals out this summer. I have never been satisfied with the tank since then, hence changing to planted. I just can't seem to spend the money to restock the tank with coral when I could not figure out why I killed them. Too expensive to restock!!!!

I hope that I will be able to keep the plants alive, but they are not 20-30 dollars for a 4" frag of coral!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode