Best filter found or owened ever - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Best filter found or owened ever

What are the best filters you have used or got a great deal on?

40B Cold water planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Eheim Classics and Aquaclears are great!

Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal

JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun

Profile Tank

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have some ( 6 ) Penguin 170's from the late 90's still running like champs with the same impellers.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My Eheim 2015 and Aquaclear 70. I used the 2015 for almost 20 years and sold it for half of the original price!
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
For hob's I won't buy anything but an Aquaclear. As far as canisters go I'm too cheap at this point to invest in an Eheim but I've heard great things. I have owned a couple Fluval canisters as well as a SunSun and I've gotta say you can't beat the price of the SunSun. It functions well, I haven't had any issues and it seems to be almost the same design of the fluval 305 I had.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
ive never had any problems with my cheap odysea and sunsun canisters, never had a leak on any of them
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Planted Member

I've only used Sun Sun canisters, but I can vouch for their quality. Best bargain around in my opinion.

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Older Eheims. Spent a pretty penny but worth it.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Custom sump with matrix, filter floss, and a Mag 7 lift pump.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
For me, definitely Eheim. Have some that have been in constant use with original parts (tubing is the exception) since the 1990s.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
My Aquaclear 50 and Eheim 2217. I bought the AC new for something like $38 on sale at petsmart, but got the 2217 used for $50, and a gallon Ziploc bag of bio media thrown in with it (looks like cocoa puffs ). I don't have the scratch for Eheim-brand tubing so I spent $12 at home depot for that. I have it filled and sitting in my bathroom for leak testing, and I'll probably start it up after I get back from the beach.

Edit: just realized that it HAS become completely normal for me to have aquarium equipment doing trial runs in my bathroom. Oh, how far I've come in a year.

Last edited by Fishbowling; 07-25-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: epiphany
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Older Eheims. Spent a pretty penny but worth it.
So what have they changed on their filters over the years? Getting cheaper?

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
aquaclear and ehiem!!
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
So what have they changed on their filters over the years? Getting cheaper?
Once upon a time they were built in Germany. I have a 2213 still running (put on my grandmother's guppy tank), purchased in 2000. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eheim was bought out and now their products are produced out of China.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have two fluval fx5s and two fx6s.... never had a problem and tons of room for media... in the end a good filter is about the media used, the amount allowed and the flow of the water through the media (no channeling) ... You can get more technical with wet/dry shower filters that allow gassing off and oxygen availability to the bacteria... if you take a crappy filter and fill it with great media like eheim pro or cermedia,,, it'll be a better filter than the top of line eheim filled with lava rock or bio balls....
my fx5's and 6's have the most available space for media, a strong pump and for $300 hard to beat... Of course I use cermedia,, so that's almost $200 worth of media,,, but more surface area porosity than any other media that I'm aware of. It has 150,000ft≤ per cubic foot of flow through porosity.

Tags
filter central

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode