Rebirth of a tank... trials and tribulations (long and short) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Rebirth of a tank... trials and tribulations (long and short)

Hello all,

some of you might remember me, but some of you newer guys may not.

This is the story of me starting on the path of attempting to return my 29 gallon tank to it's former glory, and hitting quite a number of hiccups so far!

Short version:

Tank neglected for a while, time to fix it up, things go well, dosing and water changes on schedule, get plants I want again, get shrimp, shrimp get eaten, move fish eating shrimp, can't find any shrimp, co2 tank empty, replace it, light not working, troubleshoot, loose ground fixed, still not working, order new ballast, hope foreground plants are ok til it arrives.

Long version:

For a while I neglected my poor tank. I let it flounder, became lax on dosing and algae removal, etc etc. Suffice to say it was quite a mess! The first step was obviously to get in there and give everything a good cleaning and a nice big water change. OK, no problems there. Next to start dosing macros and micros again and get back on a proper weekly water change schedule. So far so good.

Next step: aquire some of the plants I so loved before. Mostly a successful endeavor. Still looking for one or two more.

All in all things were going rather well I thought, until this week hit.

It started with the red cherry shrimp I received. They came in great shape, excellently packed from a member here. I acclimated them to the tank and then netted them out of the bucket and placed them down in front by the micranthemoides. Watched them for a bit to make sure everything was going well. They proceeded to immediately start picking over the plants and gravel.

I come back a few hours later to check on everything. I notice that my baby rainbows (m. lacustris and parva) are not at the top of the tank. I take a closer look to find one stalking one of the larger shrimp and trying to eat it! Grab a couple nets, try to scoop out the rainbows and off to the 45 they go to swim with their bigger brethren. As you all know catching a fish in a planted tank can be oh so much fun! Well, got most of them out, and then tried to get the last 2 or 3. They put up quite a fight. I ended up turning of the lights and waiting for them to slow down. I unfortunately think that I didn't get them all out in time. I haven't seen a shrimp since that day I put them in. I also suspect them of hunting and eating my baby male endler's as I only have one grown male left. and many females of various sizes. I think that they may have gotten the males as soon as they started coloring up...

I also notice at this time that my co2 is just about done. OK, no big deal, I'll go pick some up at the store. All goes well with that experience fortunately!

I get home from work the next day to find out that one of lights isn't working. Thinking it's the bulb I switch them out only to find it's not the bulb. I take the whole thing apart to check for signs of damage to the wires or anything like that. I find a loose ground. No clue how that happened... I reattach it, test it to find that wasn't the problem.

So now I patiently wait for the arrival of a new ballast so that I can get both of my lights working, and also hoping that it gets here soon enough that my new foreground plants (micranthemoides and e. triandra) don't get too unhappy with me.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Good luck getting it all straightened out....
We would love before and after pics <yeah we dig that kind of stuff> like Extreme Makeover... Tank Edition
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
George, welcome back neighbor....

I also would like to see some before and afters.
There aren't many tankmates that won't take advantage of baby shrimp.
IMO It's usually harder to bring a tank back from the edge, than when setting itup new.
Best of luck.

Walter

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
there's no pics of when it was a complete disaster. But the most recent pics are in my tank thread linked in my sig.

George

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode