What the ???? (tiny bugs on surface?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
What the ???? (tiny bugs on surface?)

So I am cleaning my tank tonight. I remove canopy and all glass tops in prep for water change and minor cleaning. I notice that there is really tiny tannish things jumping on the water surface. Roundish, tannish and smaller than a pin head jumping, but stayin on the surface? Water fleas, or what??

This is odd. The cool thing is I also say what I think was a baby shrimp (Cherry, but transparent in the state I saw).

Any thoughts on the bugs?

Thanks,

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Any chance it could be a Springtail? They can "walk on water" though they are normally a substrate insect.

Did you add any new plants with a little substrate attached perhaps? Something that might have been grown emersed?

s
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water strider? Water fleas or daphnia don't jump. Lol..The word "flea" would assume they do.
Maybe pictures can help if you can get a clear close-up.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've also had weird bugs.... I was tapping my hood, and these weird flakes fell on my tank, and they were moving! I looked closely and they were bugs, but my fish didn't eat them... They seemed like they didn't belong on the water, sort of struggling. I don't have them anymore, but it was weird... They are very tiny, almost as much as new born shrimp. The hood I had it in was a neglected tank. Only top offs and the occasional fish food.

What Ted described sounds something like mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have them pop up from time to time in two of my five tanks.

The 10g gets them every so often. No idea what they are or where they come from. Fish are healthy so I don't mind.

The 1g has a case of those, worms, and some kind of clear/grey bug in the water. Shrimp and snails don't mind so I leave them. *shrugs*
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:24 AM

Any chance they may be hydra?
I know gouramis will eat them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I tried to get a picture, but they are simply to small. At first, I thought it was little particles of dust or wood. They are not in the water, they are on the surface and they jump really far when they spring. Their bodies are roundish and I think I could see antenna. My 125 is almost completly sealed on the top with the exception of a 1.5x3" slice on either end for fluval hoses. There is a good bit of floating plant matter at the top (live).

Any other help would be appreciated.

Ted

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd guess springtails too. It's a big family (Colembola) and they come in different shapes and sizes ranging from really small to smaller than that. You'd need a good hand lens to tell for sure for anything that dinky of course, but look for a fork-like structure folded under their backend that they boing with. Even better, slide mount one and use a scope.

Water striders don't jump (adults do fly though), and hydra are sessile and stick to stuff (I don't know about the immature forms of hydra, but I betcha they're aquatic and won't be found above the surface).

It really really sounds like springtails. And they're pretty common in tanks (and everywhere else that has lots of decaying vegetable matter and miscellaneous organics).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Might not be what you have, but I get aphids on my floating plants. Nasty little bugs, but they really don't do any harm other than munching on my floaters (Oh no, don't kill my DUCKWEED! Whatever shall I doOOO?) If anyone knows of a good reliable aphid killer, I wouldn't mind being rid of them though. They like to crawl on my arm when I'm pruning - yicky!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hmm...normally for aphids I'd suggest biological control, but an aquarium isn't a good place for most aphidovores. If possible, you could scoop out all the floaters and put them in a big jar of dishsoapy water and shake the heck out of it.

Maybe catch the plants in a mesh bag and submerge them for a few days? I suspect aphid eggs can remain submerged for a long time though.

Can't you learn to love them?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I guess I will just consider them part of the eco-system.

Thanks,

Ted

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 03:50 AM

PTrader: (50/100%)
If you don't mind a million lady bugs in your house you could invite them in and they would FEAST on the aphids. Gardening places sell lady bug eggs you spread in your garden for aphid control.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNas102 View Post
If you don't mind a million lady bugs in your house you could invite them in and they would FEAST on the aphids. Gardening places sell lady bug eggs you spread in your garden for aphid control.
I was just about to say that.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
I guess I will just consider them part of the eco-system.

Thanks,

Ted
Yeah I have the same things... TINY probably as small as water fleas or smaller. They sit on my floating plants and jump all over them when I move something. They don't really bother anything so I didn't worry about them.

- Andrew
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Algae Grower

Fleas

Andrew

I have the same brown fleas that jump on the surface of the frogbit I have in my tank.

After noticing them in my tank I looked around and they were crawling on the carpet.

Have they caused any problems for you or been able to live out of water?

Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in