where are the dead fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
where are the dead fish?

I know all of us at some point have had to deal with the death of the fish which we try so hard to keep alive,(in my case I try to keep count of the fish I have ), but sometime you realize that one is no where in sight so after a day or so you start looking for a dead fish ,but how would you find a dead fish in a heavily planted, large tank with lots of places to hide and die ?on one hand you don't want to disturb the plants and gravel,on the other hand you must find that fish right ? so tell me people ,what do you do?it's 2 days that I am looking for 2 fish and have feeling they are gone to fish heaven and can't find them.so wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via MSN to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via Yahoo to nicksgirl7705
I lost 3 of 7 cardinals in a heavily planted tank, I never found a single body. I have a massive population of shrimp though, and I saw them pick the 3rd fish clean in less than half an hour. I didn't really have to worry about decomposing bodies.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Yeah if you lose fish in a shrimp tank the bodies won't last long especially with a big shrimp population. All I usually see is a complete skeleton if I can find it.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
same thing with my snails (Brigs) they will devour dead fish.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I lost 4 of my 6 lamp eye killies over the course of a couple days a while back (still not sure why) and I never found bodies. It is an open top tank and maybe our cats could have gotten it, since food/water dish and litter box are in the same room. But, eh, I don't think they would have jumped. I know that fish will eat each other when they die and will pick on each other when they're sick/dying. Pretty cruel, but that's "Darwin" for ya.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to HybridS130
I've found a few fish in the filter once. They were too big to have been sucked through intake pipe so Im assuming something spooked them and they jumped through the outflow and over the filter cartridge.

Im missing a coupe neon tetras in my tank but, I have loaches and some otos so they could've easily taken care of them. I sometimes see the loaches chase the neons so I wonder if one actually got ahold of the neons.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Snails... they take care of my dead fish. I have near a hundred or so guppies in a tank that's been running for about a year. Started with 12. You can imagine the inbreeding and the resulting weak fish. If I don't see it die, I don't get to see it because snails will take care of it over night or even less.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have lost some of my tetras and pencilfish. I just see their bodies only after a few days. I find it a PITA to just search the bodies in a tank with rocks. Lift rocks and you strain your back. What makes it more annoying is that I have a lone shrimp bringing the corpse at the back thus it's impossible to just grab the body from him while he pulls them into his territory. Nutty shrimp.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipnoy85 View Post
Snails... they take care of my dead fish.
That's my guess as well. I had three Otos die within two days, never found a single body. My only guess is:

1) They all jumped.
2) My Neons ate them.
3) Snails disposed of the bodies.

I pick #3
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
mine get eaten one way or another. either the discus take em out or the pleco/shrimp/cory crew finishes them off. if i can find a body, they end up in the ground in the garden

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:36 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I am missing one of my SAE, and she was big, so I look everywhere for her but to no avail. Aren't we all worried of Ammonia spikes? Should I panic? Kenny bn Laden could have killed her before his departure...not sure...or she is alive and hiding.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
I am missing one of my SAE, and she was big, so I look everywhere for her but to no avail. Aren't we all worried of Ammonia spikes? Should I panic? Kenny bn Laden could have killed her before his departure...not sure...or she is alive and hiding.
You should worry about ammonia. Dead fish will often contribute to production of ammonia. The bigger the fish, the more ammonia produced as is.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridS130 View Post
they jumped through the outflow and over the filter cartridge.
They weren't salmon were they?

Sergio C.

-
-
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
Maybe Kenny took her hostage and won't return her until he is released.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode