Aquarium Silicon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium Silicon

IS the stuff that you can get from your LFS the same as silicon sealant used in bathrooms?
Is it safe to use normal silicon sealant in an aquarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
There is two types of normal silicon sealant... Type I and Type II.

I was told one is okay and one isn't (but I don't rembember which). I think the one specifically for bathrooms has an additive that helps kill mildew and would be bad for fish. There is one for 'Windows' that I think is the one that is okay... but you may want to do a search on the internet about silicon and aquariums to be sure.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
IS the stuff that you can get from your LFS the same as silicon sealant used in bathrooms?
Is it safe to use normal silicon sealant in an aquarium?
You simply want something that says 100% silicone. No anti mildew additives or anything else.

Carl

Former president of SCAPE, but now living in Colorado. I'm just getting back into the hobby after not doing much for the past 10 years - feel free to PM me if you're in the Front Range area.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to HybridS130
~GE Silicone I~

That's what you want, it's the II that TAF CAF and Carl are talking about, it has anti mildew stuff in it and will leach out into the aquarium. It's about $4 for a 10oz tube vs 3oz tube from LFS for the same price or more.

Edit: I just wanted to add that Im speaking from tons of research and personal experience. I resealed my 55G using this and it holds great although Im not the best at laying a smooth bead. Also wanted to add that this stuff has about the highest adhesion properties to glass versus anything else. It took 1.5 tubes (15oz) of it to lay a nice thick bead all around my 55G.

Dunno if you have experience with resealing or not but, make sure there is no old silicone left although there will most likely be a few small areas with a thin film that just refuses to come up. Everyone reccomends using either acetone or alcohol to clean the glass before laying the silicone. I imagine paint thinner would work even better, it would also remove that little thin film of old silicone but, I doubt it's safe to use on the aquarium.

Goodluck, hope this helped.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I used the GE Silicone I - great stuff, and cheap.

If you want to get a smoother looking seam, tape off the edges like this and then smooth down with your fingers. I highly recommend using gloves if you do this, as silicone does NOT just wash off. I was picking it off my fingers for days. Make sure to clean the glass very well with a razor blade to get every last little bit of silicone off.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I only want it to stick some rocks together, i'm building a terrace, and I know I have some in the shed, I'll have to check whether it contains any fungicides.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
you can use an ice cube to smooth out silicone

btw nice tank jen
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The safest bet is to only use silicone that says 'safe for aquariums'. There are versions that are safe and not labelled but I'd rather not venture there. If you check out the GE page you'll find aquarium adhesive quite easily.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Not too bad - for pulling it out of a DUMPSTER! Now THAT was a happy day!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
Not too bad - for pulling it out of a DUMPSTER! Now THAT was a happy day!
i can imagine. you lucky girl!

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode