ADA Garden Mat - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
ADA Garden Mat

The Garden Mat.......made by ADA for use under their Cube Gardens etc.
Is anyone using it? Is it at all necessary? I don't want to have to buy it, since I'm purchasing the 60-P, which is expensive enough.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:18 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
I think it is good to use if you are using a metal stand.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
I think
Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
The Garden Mat.......made by ADA for use under their Cube Gardens etc.
Is anyone using it? Is it at all necessary? I don't want to have to buy it, since I'm purchasing the 60-P, which is expensive enough.
I used felt from walmart in the crafts department, I paid like 65cent for 3/8x10 sheets.
Or you can use foam made for a floating floor if you can find a small piece.

Or, you can get the large mouse pads from staples, would probably take two to do it, but the 8x10 felt sheets worked fine for me on my 60cm.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Craig, I'll be sure to do the felt thing.

What exactly is the Garden Mat made from?

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:21 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
Don't!

I used felt from walmart in the crafts department, I paid like 65cent for 3/8x10 sheets.
Or you can use foam made for a floating floor if you can find a small piece.

Or, you can get the large mouse pads from staples, would probably take two to do it, but the 8x10 felt sheets worked fine for me on my 60cm.
Sheesh! Hehe. What is the main purpose of using a mat?

-Ryan
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
I think it is worth it. The closest thing to the garden mat that I have found was at OSH, they called it rubber foam. It was kind of expensive, buying it rather than the garden mat for that tank would only save you a few bucks.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Garden mat looks to be made of neoprene. There are two thicknesses based on the size of the tank, IIRC. Traditional mouse pads are the exact same thing.

If it's a group buy, you might be able to get a bolt of neoprene from a fabric store.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Its a little different than neoprene. It is like neoprene but not exactly the same from what I have seen.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I have a slight problem.

My stand, although very nice looking, has a slight dip in the center. Not even 1 degree. However, When I sit the 60-P on the stand, and look between the center of the tank and the stand, I can see a crack (very thin) of light between the two, and this can only mean the tank isn't resting well on my stand. The edges are likely taking undue stress.

The dip came from using a 20" tank on a stand built for a 24" tank. Normally this isn't a problem, but since the stand uses 4 metal legs for support, it created a point on pressure beween the legs, and caused the fiberboard to bend.

Now, this is a rather small tank (around 17 gallons). Should I be excessively worried about the tank resting on it's edges? Because I am. Bear in mind I have not put anything under the tank yet.

Because of the irregularity in the stand, what should I use as an underlayer? It needs to correct the tank/stand imbalance. Keep in mind I'd like to keep some degree of aesthetics here.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
The tank I got from aquariumobsessed required that you use Styrofoam under the tank or your warranty was void. Tanks that don't have braces will get uneven pressure points if they are put right on the cabinet, they are designed to rest on top of the mouse pad or Styrofoam type supports.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you so much Iunknown.

Do you think a series of mouse pads would work to relieve the stress? A normal mouse pad is what, about an 1/8 of an inch thick? This dip is maybe a millimeter or maybe 1.5mm at it's biggest gap. That's empty. When it's full it shrinks to about half that.

EDIT!: Brief moment of clarity. Why not carpet? I can easily cut it to fit, and it will be dirt cheap, not to mention not too unpleasant looking......

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

or maybe use something like car bondo (or plaster, or ?) to fill the void then use either styrofoam or something similar.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Carpet won't work. You need to use Styrofoam. I have a styro pad under the 29 gallon I have on our breakfast bar. The bar had a very slight high spot in the middle. I used 3/4" Styrofoam. The Styrofoam has the ability to compress on both top and bottom. This causes the tank to pretty much be self leveling.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
I used the thin rubber from the hardware store that is made for putting under carpets to keep them in place.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT View Post
I used the thin rubber from the hardware store that is made for putting under carpets to keep them in place.
They also sell rubber that you lay down before a laminate or hardwood floor that could be used. I think I have some left over and so this is what I'll be using for my 60cm ADA tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode