Trimming Pogostemon Stellatus. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Trimming Pogostemon Stellatus.

I have read that the best way to reduce the height of P. Stellatus is to uproot it, chop and replant the heads. I have also read that the best way is to simply chop the heads at a node, and that the plant will grow a new head. It has a pretty intensive root system, so I would like to keep that intact....it is just I have never really seen a plant like this do well when its head is chopped.

Anyone have any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
When I was growing this plant I found that if you chopped the head, it would usually grow several new stems from where it was cut. It'll look really ugly before it does this though.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
I've had the same experience as George. Usually I do a little of both. Once the decapitated stem grows a few new stems though and gain some length, you can then cut the bottom and replant it... and it looks like you have 3-4 stems growing, where only one stem is buried in the substrate. I find this a nice way to acheive a thick stand, and I usually place these "multiple stems" in the background behind single stems.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you cut it at a node about 2" above the substrate and wait a while (2/3 weeks) for the new heads to appear (usually 4 or 5) and you cut those heads again after they have grown a bit, you get a really dense bush that looks great! The only thing you have to keep in mind is that with this technique it's REALLY necessary to block the view to the lower parts of the stem with other plants.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
great idea Tim! I'll have to try that one out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sometimes 1 or 2 of the new nodes grow faster than the other new ones, it works better if you cut those fast growers as soon as possible. If you do this the remaining ones usually grow at the same pace. If you don't, you end up with 1 or 2 super fast (but slim) growing stems and 2 or 3 that grow much slower. It's a lot harder to cover the stems up that way and it looks better and gives a more "bushy" look when all the new stems grow at the same pace.

The main problem with this technique is that eventually the stem get's a little top heavy . when that happens you just cut of the longest shoots, remove the single heavily rooted stem and replant the shoots. After a while, usually when the newly planted stems reach the surface, the plants have rooted enough (gained strength) to continue with the technique as stated above. You can repeat this over and over again
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Stellata is a lovely plant.. Good advice all!!

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode