Plant size and planting guide - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant size and planting guide

Is there a book or any guides on the internet that some one can point me to as to what plants get what size. Kind of like on a terrestrial plan, they tell you to plan them 6" apart and how tall and area they cover when grown.

I have several plants that I have found that I like the look of, but can not find any info on how big they get when they are mature, of how many to cover how big of space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:57 AM

Maybe you can just post the plants you have here and then seek advice. It should be faster that way.

We really do not think that there are any websites at the moment that are that specific on how to plant. Even the better books on plants may not offer such detailed advice.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
MYTY, part of the fun of this hobby is to try different plants in your tank and see how they grow, then later decide how you want them to fit in your final arranged aquascape. Keep in mind the same plants grow differently under different tank conditions of light, substrate, ferts, Co2, even what fish you have so this is not nearly the exact science landscaping may be.
even plant guide information can be of little help; for example many plant guide say a stem plant grows 18" tall, but that's only because the average height of a large fish tank is 24", less gravel and waterline and plants can only top out at 18", so if you had a 30" tall tank, they'd in fact keep going!
here's another thing to consider. say you like certain plants, but you discover they don't do well in your tank. after discussing the problem with forum members you discover you need to change your fertilizer balance to get that plant to grow well. Then once you do that, you discover that a lot of one fertilizer for that plant, changes the way another plant grows or displays, so now what do you do.
I'm not trying to confuse or discourage you, but to encourage you to try different plants over time, and keep the ones that work for you and your tank the best. Don't feel you need to buy a dozen plants, arrange them perfectly, then walk away, as that's really not what this hobby is all about, at least until you have done so many tanks and planted so many specimens, that you pretty much know to expect from them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I was just trying get away from plants that were going to get huge. I only have a 29 gallon tank and space will be limited. I don't want to end up with a giant brazillian sword situation where one plan takes the whole tank. I would rather not waste money on plants when able to avoid it. I will take the advice of posting a planting list and have ya'lls expertise help when possible! Thanks for the advice and the suggestions!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yea, I know what you mean I did the brazillian sword thing myself, but I did get a nice trade for it when it was full grown.

Look on the plant data base on this site if that does not help you out you can go to:
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

I have found this site to be helpful. What ever plant you buy it still may out grow your tank. I have a mellon sword in a 65 gallon tank it is only 6" high but it is gotta be 9" round in a tank that is only 12" wide. It's killing me I think that I have to dig it up.

What ever plants you do put in you can trim them to fit your tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I found the plant geeks website after I started this thread. It still doesn't do what I was asking about. But it does have a nice inventory of plant species. They don't get to descriptive though. I am in the planning stages and am trying to map out how I want the tank to look like when finished. I know some plants that I might like now will not fit into the scheme at the end, and that I'm fine with. I just don't want to spend 200-300 on plants only to have to keep trading ones in for smaller and less like what I am trying to accomplish. Like I said above I will use the sites expertise after aI get a staocking list together. Thanks for all the help!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have a 20 gallon tank and I struggle with the same thing. Fast growing plants can also be a pain to maintain. Plants that I have learned to avoid include vals and hygro. Bolbitis, or african fern, is also too large. If I can think of amy more I'll let you know!

EHEIM 2213 #317

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode