The unbelievable modern aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The unbelievable modern aquarium

When I started keeping fishy aquariums in the early 60’s, it was the dark ages of the hobby. Aquarium maintenance meant, monthly scrubbing of the emptied aquarium with your fishes and plants in a bucket; resetting your aquarium after washing the substrata, replanting the plants, literally 100% water change, and then pouring the fishes into the aquarium without any thought to cycling. Our fishes (most of them) survived! Hats off to these great fishes!!!!!!

Now compare this period to today………………………………………………….

If I was Rip-van-Winkle, I would not believe my eyes and senses-----------------------

It is simply unbelievable what all of you have achieved. My congratulations to all of you, it is your joint efforts which achieved it. That includes those who consider themselves failures, for they too contributed in supporting the movement towards modern aquarium hobby by supporting it by their interest and commercial contribution.

The ‘art of aquarium keeping’ has now become the ‘science of aquarium keeping’.

All oldies would agree. What say you old sinner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I started keeping fishies (and planted tanks) at the ripe age of 6... That was in the mid 70's though.

At that time, gravel vacs had been discovered, so no monthly resettings. Did you really take out everything, incl plants, and then plant them again? Hmmm.

The discussion about the merits of aged water was still raging.

By the late 70's I got my first yeast-sugar solutions bubbling... At that time, dutch aquariums were what everyone was striving for.

However it wasn't until much more recently when I discovered higher light levels and fertilizer dosing.

Interesting memories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:04 PM

I started this hobby about 4 years ago when my girlfriend bought me one of those Betta-in-a-cup deals from Walmart. I was like, "Neat. What do I do with this?" So I went back to Walmart and bought one of those 5gal. "Starter Kits." I read the little pamphlet that came with it explaining the importance of frequent small water changes, and the three types of filtration, and water chemistry, etc, etc, etc. I found it all fascinating and turned to the internet for more information. All I have to say is thank goodness for the internet for bringing the world together and making knowledge available to anyone with the interest to look for it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 PM

I started in the hobby about 4 years ago. But only got my first tank started 3 years ago. RESEARCH!!!!!!! I was amazed at the equipment!

My parents had had an aquarium in their room, they got the joys of looking at it. I got the joys of having to clean it. It's amazing that I still wanted one after all that. I remeber not having gravel vacs and just having to dump all the water out and start new. The UGF that really didn't work very well, the horrble yellow lights that we had. I only I had know that there was better stuff out there earlier I would have started in college.

Now 15 years after I change the water in my parents tank for the last time I have my own. Only this time I get to enjoy more of the viewing and still get the clean-up.

I have two tanks now 1-55 gallon cichlid tank and 1-29 gallon salt tank. I am now learning the planted system equipment to turn the salt tank into a planted tank!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi MYTY1705
'The UGF that really didn't work very well'. I still use UGF and it always worked well with me.Now I use pumps attached to the UGF grid using 1/2" poly-pipes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 02:23 PM

Yeah if only my parents had known about power heads! We were only using air stones in it. That doesn't provide much movement in the water column, It's no wonder I was always scraping algae!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I grew up with a 10 gallon metal frame set up on a homemade stand in the living room next to the couch. We always had live plants like cabomba, anarcharis, hornwort,etc.I'll always remember my older brother bringing home his 30 G complete with a power filter. WoW!!!That tank seemed gigantic compared to our 10G. My brothers and I keep logs of spawnings in the back of our" Know your Tropical Fish" books from Hartz. My brother Bob made a match game where you match genus species to the common names. Not many third graders at the time knew what the hell a heterandia formosa was.

Many fond memories of creating a living ecosystems in our home. Now my one year old son is currently enjoying the seven aqauriums in our fish room. This is truly a great hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode