Water Softener Salt :( :( :( :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Exclamation Water Softener Salt :( :( :( :(

ok so i think people are becoming increasingly more ignorant in the 'indirect' portion of the hobby, i.e. big chain stores, i.e. PetSmart.

PetSmart adds alot of salt to their aquariums, I know this because I hang out there about twice a week to shoot the $hit with a fellow hobbiest. And he showed me the 'daily logs/maintenance books'. anyhow...they ran out of aquarium salt..and this is the conversation that ensued between a manager on duty, me, and a clerk: [ABSTRACT]

clerk: hey uhhh...yea....I dont know what to do..we kinda..uhh ran out of salt for the aquarium...wont they die without it? if we dont get some in soon everyhting will die because they need the salt right?
(keep in mind they carry only freshwater fish)

manager: no they are not salt water fish [clerk name edit]. this cant be, i just ordered some more for the shipment that came in yesterday! I cant *uck*n believe this! [name edit], get down to the grocery store and get some of those big bags of water softener salt. We need ot get salt in there.

me: uhhhh sir, I dont believe thats a good idea. besides the fact that you have no idea the composition of the salt your planning on throwing in there, there is no way you can in any way accurately measure the amount your putting in; the concentrations are way different from aquarium salt. softener salt is not sea salt, and frankly, are not interchangeable. salt just doesnt disappear from the water either, a few days without any additions wont matter in the least.

manager:salt is salt, and who are you telling me how to do my job?
to clerk: go get the salt!

me: im not telling you how to do anyhting, im just offering my advice.

manager: well if i wanted your help id ask for it.

me: i doubt that.

manager: excuse me?

me: forget it. good luck explaining the massive extinction to your bosses.

2 days later, i went back to check the damage. they lost every cory, most of the angels, all of their scaleless fish (puffers, knife's, etc.) and a slew of community fish. i was not shocked, but i didnt think the guy would screw up that bad. he didnt even call anyone to check if that was ok to do. so hes now fired. i tried, and lo, was shut down as usual. I guess I have to have a degree in one hand and a handgun in the other to get through to people.

anyone have similar experiences to share? (not necessarily including lots of fish mortalities)

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--

Last edited by |GTO|; 12-05-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Score: good guys 1 - evil, ignorant PetSmart managers 0 - poor innocent fishies -200

Seriously, I see these guys as a small step up from WalMart. Ok, ok, that's not fair, a decently-sized step up from WalMart, but a long, long way from your average LFS.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I once went into a Pet*** and they had some beautiful half black guppies in their 'plant tank' (handful of anachris and hornwort). I asked them how much they were. The guy looked at them, said he had no idea what kind of fish they were. A customer had brought them into the store because they didn't want them. He offered them to me for free. Two years later those 7 guppies now are the main inhabitants of my two 50 gal tanks, and they have bred true as all half blacks.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Waaaay back in the day my first job was as an employee at P*tsM*rt, and what you observed is indeed true. My manager decided that aquarium salt was too expensive, so they had us putting Morton's System Saver pellets into those little containers that bettas come in with a notch cut out of the lid and placing a cup in every single tank in the system. When the salt ran out, we would refill them. Water changes were done extremely rarely as they were "too expensive". I didn't last long at this store, it made me too sad to be scooping out a hand-sized bag of dead fish every night. Since then they have gotten better management and have improved, but it was pretty scary back in the day.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine View Post
I use water softener salt in all my tanks.......DC

I know I know I know......you can use it, but this guy had no idea what he was doing, which was the point..

he had no clue what the ratio was so he wound up OD'ing the system severly.

im not sayi8ng you cant, you can, but some salts contain way more thanacceptable levels of chlorine as well..but i dont think thta was a problem in this case. the concentrations were the problem, and he made it sea water

cheers,

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How do you use it DC? I know you use RO water, do you put it in the RO vat? Do you use sodium chloride or potassium chloride?

I <3 Eheim #195
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pardon my ignorance, but why are some people typing asterisks in place of letters for PetSmart?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
I grab a handfull and walk around pitching it in the tanks after water changes. Here is what I use......DC
Aqua Systems Softener Salt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hypancistrus - because I'm paranoid. You have to be careful what you say about vendors, especially if it is opinionated and especially if it is online on a publicly available forum. My local club had problems with one of our members getting sued because he posted what amounted to "Yeah, me too" in a negative thread about a vendor. It was later dropped, but anything that *might* be consider "libel" is fodder for a trigger-happy vendor to sue you. If it is presented factually then you are a-ok, but if you start throwing in stuff like "They SUCK!" then you might be in trouble. I'd rather not even bother. I always present negative experiences factually, but I also tend to * out names just so "search" functions don't pop up with me saying something nasty (even if it is true).

Yeah, I'm paranoid, but I've seen people get burned before, so I figured its just easier this way. No skin off my back.

I <3 Eheim #195

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode