Seachem Prime and Algone - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Seachem Prime and Algone

I just realized my darn tap water must have chloramine in it. I also did some research to confirm my suspicion and sure enough I was right. I've been going each week to the local store and buying weekly 20 gallons of distilled and spring water to do my water changes, but my gosh it's getting expensive and it's a lot of freaking work carrying all those plastic jugs in and out of the house. So this past week I decided to just use my Python and use tap water with the standard declorinating stress coat stuff and I get an algae bloom! I test the water and sure enough it shows ammonia. I check my tap water and yes it too has almost 2.5ppm ammonia levels.. Grrrrrr

So doing a bit of research I'm coming across stuff called Seachem Prime and also a product called Algone packets that get dropped in my Fluval filter on a bi-monthly basis that is supposed to inhibit algae growth, remove nitrates, reduce ammonia and nitrites, etc.

Question is, which should I be using? Can I use both or is that too much?

Seachem Prime
Algone

55 Gal, Fluval 305, GE 9325K CF 55x2 (7hrs/day), Coralife T5 56 watts (used in conjunction with the GE 9325's 2hrs/day.), Eco-Complete substrate, EI Dosing, Flourish Excel, 200 watt heater, Pressurized CO2 with Rhinox 2000 diffuser, Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer on 24/7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Seachem= good.
Algon: bad.

Algon is not going to cure an algae issue in a planted tank.
This is due to a lack of nutrients which is why the plants are not growing to begin with.

When you do not care for the plants and also do not add enough nutrients, you will get algae.

The seachem stuff is for water changes.
I honestly see no use for the Algon stuff in our context with planted tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I'm going to start looking for a place that sells that. I'll check out the vendors here and see who sells it at the best price before I head to the LFS. This is a great forum!

55 Gal, Fluval 305, GE 9325K CF 55x2 (7hrs/day), Coralife T5 56 watts (used in conjunction with the GE 9325's 2hrs/day.), Eco-Complete substrate, EI Dosing, Flourish Excel, 200 watt heater, Pressurized CO2 with Rhinox 2000 diffuser, Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer on 24/7.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
You need a way to remove ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines before the water gets to the tank. Assuming you are talking about the 55g tank in your sig, and based on EI the changes are 50%, then I would suggest getting a 25 gallon storage tank or bin of some kind. You can fill it up, treat it and let it age (which is also good for degassing) then use it for the water change. MUCH easier in the long run than doing the gallon buckets of distilled.

I think that if the algone removes nitrates as well, you will end up with another problem resulting in more algae. Better to find a good solution now!

EDIT: or maybe you don't need a storage tank. In-tank dosing is very typical with Prime.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato View Post
You need a way to remove ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines before the water gets to the tank. Assuming you are talking about the 55g tank in your sig, and based on EI the changes are 50%, then I would suggest getting a 25 gallon storage tank or bin of some kind. You can fill it up, treat it and let it age (which is also good for degassing) then use it for the water change. MUCH easier in the long run than doing the gallon buckets of distilled.

I think that if the algone removes nitrates as well, you will end up with another problem resulting in more algae. Better to find a good solution now!

EDIT: or maybe you don't need a storage tank. In-tank dosing is very typical with Prime.
Yeah I just ordered some Prime from aquaticplants.com along with some substrate fert tabs and some more hair grass. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I use Prime exclusively.
I loves it.....although P U it be stanky!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
I use Prime exclusively.
I loves it.....although P U it be stanky!
lol Ok so mine hasen't gone bad... Its supose to smell like ass.
I was worried for a bit there. I just recently switched to prime and wasen't expecting the...aroma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6Gal Nano Journal

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
if it stinks, it is good...lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
prime is great!
I have heard that Algone is barley hay ground up but I have substantiation of that.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode