Help with CO2 Setup! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Help with CO2 Setup!

I set up this tank about a month ago and have been running DIY CO2 and dosing excel. I'm pretty sure this is too big of a tank for CO2 though so I was wondering what I should upgrade to. I'm considering a paintball CO2 setup but thought I'd ask first. For plants I have some sort of ludwig, pennywort and water sprite. The light is a Finnex Ray2. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
I set up this tank about a month ago and have been running DIY CO2 and dosing excel. I'm pretty sure this is too big of a tank for CO2 though so I was wondering what I should upgrade to. I'm considering a paintball CO2 setup but thought I'd ask first. For plants I have some sort of ludwig, pennywort and water sprite. The light is a Finnex Ray2. Thanks!
Nice, that tank will fill in nicely....with a foreground plant you would be all set. I have done the paintball method myself, I had 3 tanks going on 3 separate cylinders. Worked great for me, and a huge improvement over my DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar. I am stepping things up for my 90 with a full on CO2 regulator and stuff. How big is the tank?

Last edited by Gafi; 07-23-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: updated
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, It's just a 29gallon so i don't think I can justify a full size CO2 system. Plus I'm limited on space. I would put a paintball system behind the tank with my ehiem 2211 but a full size system would probably be too big.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think the paintball CO2 is a good way to "step" things up. You will notice a huge difference, my plants loved it and they grew like crazy. Ill be interested to see what pictures look ike in a few months.....is that water sprite in the back corner and middle? If so, that will take off and grow like crazy!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafi View Post
Ill be interested to see what pictures look ike in a few months.....is that water sprite in the back corner and middle? If so, that will take off and grow like crazy!
You and me both. Yes it is. Its all cut offs from another tank of fine. It grows at a crazy rate for sure. I might have to rearrange things eventually. Is there a setup you recommend for the paintball co2 system? I'm having a hard time finding the parts I need.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've done DIY on a 29 before. What I used were two "Simply Orange" bottles that I offset by a few days so that when one ran out, the other was still pumping. They both teed off into the same bubbler so that I didn't have to duplicate everything.

It was plenty, assuming I kept up with the maintenance.

However, I was constantly tempted by a paintball setup, because it looked so much easier to maintain!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I bit the bullet and went with a paintball system. Should have all the parts tomorrow!! Now I need to find a good drop checker
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I have my Aquatek regulator all setup and it's currently running at 1bps. Now i don't have a drop checker yet so I was wondering what I should set it to? I have a ceramic disk diffuser with decent circulation through my Ehiem 2211. I have a decent amount of surface agitation but no bubbles are created, it simple moves very quickly if that makes any sense. What do y'all think?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
So I have my Aquatek regulator all setup and it's currently running at 1bps. Now i don't have a drop checker yet so I was wondering what I should set it to? I have a ceramic disk diffuser with decent circulation through my Ehiem 2211. I have a decent amount of surface agitation but no bubbles are created, it simple moves very quickly if that makes any sense. What do y'all think?
The amount of surface agitation you have sounds fine.

For your CO2 rate, you can try to slowly increase your CO2 level, while constantly watching your livestock. As soon as you see signs of stress, you should back off.

This is how it was done before drop checkers.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode