Mulm removal??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Mulm removal???

One of my tanks has recently had a ton of mulm build up. So much that mechanical removal is not working. Is there any other way besides vacuuming it up? Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so is there no other way? Chemical maybe?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:35 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Man, I'm suprised no one is helping you out. I think the big mystery snails will eat dead vegetation. Pond snails too but they are a pest.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I would go ahead and vacum it up. It's not that hard anyway. You should try to vacum out as much as you can at each water change, and save heavy cleanings for every other month or so. I just pulled up a 4 inch high mat of glosso yesterday and you should have seen the mulm under there. Not that I'm lazy, but with 4.8 wpg and ei dosing, it grows that much in about a month. Just be carefull not to get it too much into the water column.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
There is supposed to be a product that contains "millions of sludge eating bacteria that eat detritus."

I suppose it works along the same lines as the stuff you put in your toilet with septic systems.

I do not trust it, however.

I'd prefer to siphon it out when I did water changes.

Pond Water Quality & Biological Additives & Conditioners: Microbe-Lift Sludge Away

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
There is supposed to be a product that contains "millions of sludge eating bacteria that eat detritus."

I suppose it works along the same lines as the stuff you put in your toilet with septic systems.
lol at the thought of putting rid-x in an aquarium!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiahead View Post
One of my tanks has recently had a ton of mulm build up. So much that mechanical removal is not working. Is there any other way besides vacuuming it up? Just curious.
Oblivious question: Are you using a siphon to try and get it out?

What substrate is it?

Add a power head to stir it up so the filter can get it

|
|
|
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ya trying to siphon but its every where. My rocks have alot of crevasses that I cant vacuum. Was just trying to avoid the tear down so to speak to get rid of it all.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It can be a pain. I also pull the plants up very slowly. and turn off the filter so it doesn't get circulated through the water.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiahead View Post
ya trying to siphon but its every where. My rocks have alot of crevasses that I cant vacuum. Was just trying to avoid the tear down so to speak to get rid of it all.
I would definitely go with total tear down,you do it once and you are fine for at least a couple of years.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You could go with a diatom filter and stir everything up while it's in the tank. That would take some of the load off your service filter. Water polishing is the only thing I can think of beside what youíre up to now.

I use a waving motion with my hand while trimming to get mulm out of dead spots. Also change the output (if possible) on occasion so the dead spots move a bit... I've lately moved around a hobby pump to hit dead spots for a few days.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
After trying to siphon out all I can. I try to suspend the rest with a turkey baster and use an extra powerhead with a filter sleeve to help remove it.

Large Quick Filter Aqua Clear A575 (Hagen)

Doug

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode