Hydra in the Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hydra in the Tank

I am none too pleased. A few days ago, I noticed 4 hydra on the front glass of the 10 gallon. I was able to pick them off with tweezers and a turkey baster. Problem solved, right? No way. Yesterday, I noticed MORE on the same glass (the front). I've been trying to pick them off as bast as I can. How do I get rid of them? What are they caused by? Any other info on this?

They are in my 10 gallon low light, low tech 10 gallon snowball shrimp tank.

Eheim Pimpette #230

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is the remedy for stupidity.

It's not the size of the tank, but how you use it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Fish will eat them, if you have something you could toss in there to eat them for a little while that will work

|
|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hmmmm...I'll have to see who I have that I can toss in there. Thanks!

Eheim Pimpette #230

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Those sphinx snails will also eat hydra. I used them in my shrimp thank since they are to slow to eat my shrimp. If you get to many of them I was told they will eat your plants if they get hungry though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Hmmm. Shrimp tank. That's a poser. I had a HUGE outbreak of the little green monsters in my 10 gallon neon/shrimp tank. Looked almost like an algae outbreak there were so many. After some reading I found that Gouramis are supposed to eat them, so I sucked it up and purchased a dwarf flame. The hydras disappeared shortly thereafter. Of course the downside is that I don't have as many shrimp in the tank as I used to either. Fortunately he leaves the adult shrimp alone and there's so much Java Moss in there that at least some of the juvies make it to adulthood.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I put in a small fish, but he's not doing a very good job. I just so happened to have found 4 or 5 more spixi snails hiding in another tank after selling 30+ of them (I thought I had sold them all). I moved them into the snowball shrimp tank. There are a few more hydra in the tank. also I have a juvie Paradise fish that I could put into the snowball shrimp tank, but I'm trying to get my colony to grow in numbers and don't want it to eat my shrimp.

Do you think a marisa (giant Columbian ramshorn) snail would eat the hydra? What about otos or an ABN?

Eheim Pimpette #230

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode