No more ADA in the USA? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
No more ADA in the USA?

At my local LFS the owner told me that ADA products were getting harder to find because they will soon no longer be sold in the USA. Is that true or were they just trying to push what they sold in their store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can't see that happening. Everything they sell is way too popular for that to happen. Just have a look around the forums, not just here, but every other planted tank forum on the web.

The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10g NPT Betta tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
I can't see that happening. Everything they sell is way too popular for that to happen. Just have a look around the forums, not just here, but every other planted tank forum on the web.
Most of the stuff I see are "knockoffs" like Mr. Aqua. I wouldn't be really surprised if their numbers here were quite low, even aquasoil is getting a lot of competition...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Sounds like they were just trying to push what's in their store.

ADG is opening a retail outlet to feature their ADA products. AFA still sells tons of ADA stuff. Other, smaller retailers pop up all the time. ADA continues to release new product lines, as well.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Bear in mind a majority of their product line isn't imported and there's much more ADA goodness we re missing out on. This fact alone has spurred the. Demand of knock offs from asia whom are happily filling the gap.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
If anyone is really interested in squashing this rumor (which might not be a rumor at all) just call ADG and ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceGrover View Post
even aquasoil is getting a lot of competition...
From what?!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpas View Post
At my local LFS the owner told me that ADA products were getting harder to find because they will soon no longer be sold in the USA. Is that true or were they just trying to push what they sold in their store?
This is likely much more than a rumor from store owners I have talked to as well....

It has become more apparent after seeing that stock is dwindling on the two sites that do supply the product, without regular re-stock of merchandise.

Their main supplier near me in New Jersey has just shut down their ADA retail store recently.

I am especially disappointed that we are not going to see any of the Wabi-Kusa goodness from their new product lines

Needless to say, I have been ordering many of their products, especially through AFA, for fear that they may not be as readily available in the future.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
From what?!
Fluval Ebi, dirted tanks, black diamond, and so on. People seem to be more willing to look for alternatives than before...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Fluval Ebi, dirted tanks, black diamond, and so on. People seem to be more willing to look for alternatives than before...
I just don't see it. Tom Barr has said on and on, that Aquasoil has the most available nutrients, and is also the most consistent. None of the soils you listed carry heavy nutrients like Aquasoil does...I believe he had said that the UP! aquasoil is the only one comparable at this point.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
It seems a lot of distributors are pretty thin on their stock of tanks, but I'd more likely attribute to that to the large lag time from placing an order with the importers and getting the product over here on a container ship from the other side of the planet. When I asked AFA a few weeks back they said their container should be coming in about a month.

Update: Just looked at the aquaforest site, looks like they have been restocked.

Last edited by Rudger; 07-22-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: in stock
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
This is likely much more than a rumor from store owners I have talked to as well....

It has become more apparent after seeing that stock is dwindling on the two sites that do supply the product, without regular re-stock of merchandise.

Their main supplier near me in New Jersey has just shut down their ADA retail store recently.

I am especially disappointed that we are not going to see any of the Wabi-Kusa goodness from their new product lines

Needless to say, I have been ordering many of their products, especially through AFA, for fear that they may not be as readily available in the future.
The US market is exploding...Some ADA stuff may be overpriced, but right now it looks and feels like it's not a bad industry.

I too, am disappointed that the wabi kusa, and other ADA product lines are not coming to America.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
I can see the competition against aquasoil, but there isn't anything like it so far. Sure you can have dirt, but none if them are comparable to aquasoil. Maybe the brightwell stuff, but seeing that's it's a discontinued product, the availability has already dropped substantially. Everything else that is anything similar to aquasoil are much more pricier.

About the topic on hand, I highly doubt ADA products will stop being sold in the US. I can kind of see why your LFS mentioned that rumor. Some stores can't afford to sell ADA products. Majority of aquarists are either:
1. Not into planted tanks
2. Doesn't want to spend so much for a product when you could pay a fraction of the cost for a knock off.

As mentioned, ADG is one of their official retailers and are still selling their products. If they seem to be out of stock on items, it could just be that they're still setting up their retail store and focusing more in that. I know it must be very exciting to finally turn their gallery into a retail store after 3 years. They're supposed to be completed some time in august.

The amount of new hobbyists impact the sales too. They're not gonna go and buy a $40 bag of substrate or a $100 3gal tank with no equipment. They're gonna go for the basic goods and equipment that are far cheaper. I know of many LFS who cannot afford to stock ADA products because most of their revenue is coming from standard products, new hobbyists, or those random people who just want fish and aren't trying to become too involved. The LFS try to up sale their current equipment and goods as they pay a much lower cost and can make a good sale from it. There's so many "victims" to these up sales because of the fact that they're uneducated customers who don't know any better.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

|
|
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Products are routinely out of stock at various times through the year because they run out of product and have to wait for a new container to arrive in the US and clear customs.

It's the same in other countries. They get low on merch and re-order. Takes a while to come in.

Quote:
Do you mean Fluval Stratum? Do the cost comparison for volume and you'll find it's more expensive, contains no nutrients, has little buffering capacity by comparison.

Black Diamond is blasting grit and has been used for years.

The only product that comes close in the United States at the moment is Azoo Plant Grower Bed. It lacks nutrients, doesn't buffer as long, breaks down more quickly, costs more.

Dirted tanks have been around a lot longer than nutrient-rich substrates like Aquasoil. Reference: Diana Walstad.

Quote:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-22-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Cleaning up some extra posts
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:

Yes, but they are opening a warehouse to distribute to local lfs's in the area. We'll just have to see how that works out. They are even talking about opening to the public once or twice a month.

Tags
ada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode