Well, I'm gonna piss off my wife this evening - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well, I'm gonna piss off my wife this evening

Got an e-mail from a guy in my area wanting to move 2 complete Oceanic systems fast, a 105g and 150g, for $400 a piece. So I'm gonna propose to my wife replacing my existing 30g and 55g with these slight upgrades. Uh - I'm predicting that even with the seasonal spirit and all, this has got no chance in hell, but I gotta give it a shot!

If you are looking for me, I'll be sleeping on the couch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds View Post
If you are looking for me, I'll be sleeping on the couch...
That reminds me of when I bought my 40g.....and my other 10g......and that 2g.....and the 1g.....and the......ah you get the point!

Good deals on the tanks though. Just a tiny upgrade.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Well that's better than the dog house!!! Great deal!

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
On the upside, you might actually be able to live in those tanks when she kicks you out of the house.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
ha ha, I was just in the same situation, when I bought my 125 gallon... goodluck!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:57 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Propose two, settle for one! Just gotta make her think it was her idea, and you're compromising for her !

Good luck. Those sound like awesome deals!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds View Post
Got an e-mail from a guy in my area wanting to move 2 complete Oceanic systems fast, a 105g and 150g, for $400 a piece.
I'd pass on both those tanks.
in a large city like Chicago
craigslist has tanks like that being
offered every week for $1-$200
if you are simply able to pick it up.

If you are specifically boning
for an Oceanic of that size
then go for it, but don't get it
because you think it's a bargain.

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When I bought the 125 gallon tank I used to own I just visited the guy selling it, gave him the money ($100), had him help me load it into the back of the truck, and drove home. Then I got my two neighbors to help carry it to the back deck, where it was when my wife came home. It was too heavy to just toss it easily, and she couldn't even lift it, so I won that argument pretty easily. I got my current 45 gallon tank/stand combo by showing her the great photo of it on Craigslist, and showing her how much better it would look as furniture than the DIY stand and 29 gallon tank I had. Then, before she could object I agreed to buy it. While she was still trying to decide if she could live with it, I drove 75 miles and picked it up. Fortunately it looked as good as the photo, so she helped me carry it upstairs. All of this to say, just use diplomacy (?)

Hoppy
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Things I've said to significant other to get away with my hobbies:

My all-time favorite-
(Smile)"Honey, I know you love me and you want me to be happy; well, this really makes me very happy!"

"Honey, you know that _____________ ( insert one: sewing machine, couch, dishwasher, etc) you've been looking at/ talking about? Well I think we should go check some out this weekend." Then bring in the new stuff!

"This is a hobby that keeps me happily at home here with you, off the streets, out of the bars and not running around!" ---Best delivered with a big hug and kiss.

"Hey, I only like looking at fish & plants, NOT other women (men)!"
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
I'd pass on both those tanks.
in a large city like Chicago
craigslist has tanks like that being
offered every week for $1-$200
if you are simply able to pick it up.
Well, I thought they were better than the standard CraigsList deal, seeing as how - for example - the smaller one comes with 2 eheims, oak stand, stock and additional lighting ...
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 06:24 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think they are good deals. However, I know I could not get both with my wife haha. I might could get one since it is Christmas haha.

Rick
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
that's really funny. My landlord won't let me upgrade, so I have to move and meanwhile, while I'm not moving, I'm planning. So, in that light,
say to her "this is the beginning of a discussion. I really want to upgrade to a bigger tank. That's my plan."
then, you can find another good deal on CL, and she'll be ready by then to approve the plan. This time, it's just an idea, the start for a cozy family discussion. : ))

Mark

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Here's what you do....Ask your wife that you've been doing a lot of reading and asking of questions and that you've learned that fish are healthier and happier in a larger tank (may not work if she's not an animal lover). Ask her if it would be ok to get a couple 250g tanks that you saw a good deal on. When she says no (she will), ask her if you can "settle" for a 105g and 150g instead.
If would be nice if you could just talk to your wife like that boss from Office Space....."Yeah. I'm gonna have 'ta go ahead and ask you to just let me buy that. So, if you could just keep a smile on your face about it, that would be great. m'kay?" Haha, my wife would slap me silly.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
eds

A larger tank is definitely in my future. We're planning on moving within 3 years at the latest, when my youngest gets out of HS. At that time she knows I intend to set up a big tank (tho we've never discussed exactly what constututes BIG). My 55 was going to be a 75 or 90, but I got the 55 and stand for next to nothing from a neighbor.

So, like I said, I'll be getting a 90 or larger in less than 3 years. Its just that these struck me as a particularly good deal that they got my mouth watering.

The fact that both of my tanks are looking really great right now are probably the best argument I could make for getting another/larger tank(s).
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
The Man Song

lol

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode