Calling all Red Sea Reactor 500 Owners! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Calling all Red Sea Reactor 500 Owners!

Hi guys,

Just trying to figure out if my reactor is working right. All I get right now is a whirlpool inside the reactor, with the ocassional bubble burp. Is that what it's supposed to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 PM

yup, That's what mine does- if you keep it on the lowest setting for flow. If you turn up the flow it will have much less of a tornado of CO2. I personnally liked mine in the begining, but after a couple times of coming home to see it not working ( the intake got clogged by 1 little leaf)I am ready to look for something else. Anybody know of the best?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had it setup for about 1 week. I thought it worked best with the "tornado" and flow set to 3/4, but overall I was not impressed with the functionality. I had the same problem with bubble burp which means undissolved Co2. Worse yet was the eyesore it created in the tank. It was quickly replaced with a glass diffuser.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
even when I leaf gets in mine it still seems to work although it's not a perfect vortex. I'm planning to run my second one in the sump behind the back wall of my Aquapod, so hopefully it won't be getting clogged at all in there.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
AHHH! I have been waiting for a review on this product... I did ask a while ago, but, no one said anything about them... I wanted to get one for my 20Gal. but I was waiting for some kind of review. I just purchased a "bio ball" type reactor. I'm hoping this one will work well. I just don't know if I should try using a fountain pump I have, or if I should buy a powerhead for it, that would have an intake I can put filter foam on, so I don't get leaves stuck to it & make it NOT work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
BTW, it will spit less bubbles after the other gasses are out of your CO2 reactor (if your using DIY CO2). Mine typicaly only spits noticably when getting over 3 BPS.

I think they work extreamly well @ 99% diffusion, but the negatives are, 2 more cords in the tank (Cord and Hose; not negative if if I put it in the sump ), and they can get plugged by leaves and debree when can hinder it's functionality.

now my bubble ladder...thats always getting messed up by leaves growing into it, snails climbing on it etc, at least this unit is enclosed.

One thing I REALLY don't like is that the power cord and CO2 Intake Hose are on opposite sides. For some reason this just really bothers me and makes the unit a little harder to position.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Yeah, why would they put the intake and power cord on complete oppisite sides of the unit? Silly if you ask me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Planted Member

Does anyone have a Red Sea 500 that they want to sell? I'm looking to add a second one. I've ordered a glass diffuser, but not sure I'll like all the tiny bubbles blowing around in the tank.

55 Gal, Fluval 305, GE 9325K CF 55x2 (7hrs/day), Coralife T5 56 watts (used in conjunction with the GE 9325's 2hrs/day.), Eco-Complete substrate, EI Dosing, Flourish Excel, 200 watt heater, Pressurized CO2 with Rhinox 2000 diffuser, Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer on 24/7.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

You really are seeing double. hehe

Well I think I may have a Rhinox 2000 diffuser for sale once I finally receive it from Malaysia. I just got a second Red Sea Reactor and it's really working well. My CO2 is outstanding now, no extra bubbles floating around the tank like with diffusers and this setup is very efficient. (ie doesn't waste CO2) One reactor in a 55 gallon planted tank just isn't quite enough, but two is perfect.

55 Gal, Fluval 305, GE 9325K CF 55x2 (7hrs/day), Coralife T5 56 watts (used in conjunction with the GE 9325's 2hrs/day.), Eco-Complete substrate, EI Dosing, Flourish Excel, 200 watt heater, Pressurized CO2 with Rhinox 2000 diffuser, Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer on 24/7.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode