New to site and plated tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to site and plated tanks

Ok my first post here.

I am having trouble getting the lfs to help me. I am new to planted tanks as I am in the process of converting a 29 gal. salt tank to a planted freh tank.

I can not find any real good information on appropriate plants for this small of a tank. I want the tank to look look like a lush walk in a park not a treak through a tropical jungle.

Any plant recommendations would be very welcomed.

I had started looking at these,
Becketti
brazillian pennywort
cofee anubias
crypto spiralis
dwarf bonai
limnophilia aromatica
oval ludwigia
nana

would these be ok together? I know you get tons of these but please bear with me. I am paranoid on starting a new tank until I get it up and running. Just need a little confidence boost, and more knowledgable people to tell me.

Thanks!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:54 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
WELCOME!! and you've come to the right place, PT is full of folks willing to help even if it means typing out the same advice over and over and over and over

-1st advice: use the search tool at the top of the page!!!
-2nd advice: get lots of fast growers at first, no matter what you want in the long run. They are cheap and effective for new tanks.

I run a 29 gallon tank as well, so am very familiar with the dimensions. I've kept about 1/2 the plants you listed, but I'm more curious about your equipment plans. what kind of lighting, filtration, substrate, fertilizers, etc do you have, and what do you need to get. what about co2?

well there's a few Q's to start off. A quick note....the Crypt Spiralus was a gorgeous plant, but more of a hack thru the jungle than a walk in the park in a 29g!!!! Typically, you do want the smaller-leaved plants in this size tank. Limn. Aromatica (which I currently have) is bordering on too large. See my thread below for an example.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

like I said all of this is in a salt tank so some of this is not needed, but put on here to let you know what I am working from and to
equipment:
29 gallon tank
emperor 400 with bio wheels
aquaclear 802 power head (only if needed)
seaclone 200 protein skimmer (will be converted into a co2 diffusing chamber)
250 watt heater
4-55 watt light hood (2 actinic for color, 2 10k light for growth)

I am in the process of making a pressurized co2 system
already acquired:
20 oz paintball tank
hudson regulator

needed:
needle valve
bubble counter (not immediate)
check valve
air hose

I will put a diagrom of converting the protein skimmer into a diffusor in a little bit.

Does this soun ok?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTY1705 View Post
emperor 400 with bio wheels
Get rid of the biowheel, use a cannister filter if possible.

Quote:
seaclone 200 protein skimmer (will be converted into a co2 diffusing chamber)
You will find this to be an excellent diffuser......DC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Personally I'd scrap the filter alltogether. Just use the powerhead for circulation, maybe with a sponge on it for a little biological. If you plant heavily enough, you don't really need a filter just circulation. But the circulation DOES need to be good, so if the AQ isn't enough then consider adding the filter/second pump.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I had heard to remove biowheels. Canister filter is out for right now because of costs. I am trying to break in with as little of cost as possible. Luckily most of the stuff I have had on hand or am getting really cheap
(14.95 for the regulator)!!!!

I am glad to hear the the ps will make a good diffusor. I had gotten mixed reactions on another site, but it is not plant tank specific, more of a typical fish. I thought my thoery of having the bubbles mashed and swirling in the water for a few minutes in the chamber was great, they thought otherwise.?!?. Some thought the co2 would diffuse out before it got into the tank.

Should I keep the filter for water movement and also for mechanical filtration/carbon?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Yeah I had heard to remove biowheels. Canister filter is out for right now because of costs. I am trying to break in with as little of cost as possible. Luckily most of the stuff I have had on hand or am getting really cheap
(14.95 for the regulator)!!!!

I am glad to hear the the ps will make a good diffusor. I had gotten mixed reactions on another site, but it is not plant tank specific, more of a typical fish. I thought my thoery of having the bubbles mashed and swirling in the water for a few minutes in the chamber was great, they thought otherwise.?!?. Some thought the co2 would diffuse out before it got into the tank.

Should I keep the filter for water movement and also for mechanical filtration/carbon?
Give rmc a PM, he made/uses several types of diffusers, really likes the ps....DC

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode