Need some opinion on scape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Need some opinion on scape

Here it is, my other 260gal tank just overhauled.

My vision is low maintenance tank with CO2 and short burst of high light for growth quality. I use anubias, jungle val, lots of java fern (narow, windelov, red), a little bit of moss, some nuphar, lots of crypts and dwarf sag for the open space.

The right side, I love it. The driftwood is just great, looking like a drowned tree stump.

I hate the look on the left side. That driftwood and all the things attached is not on the right place. The whole tank might look better if I remove it, but then it would be too much open space.

Need your opinion about this. Keep in mind whatever your candidate is, it must be of very low maintenance.

I'm dead beat tired now that it is tough for me to think
Came across me some kind of huge non stem plant, but dont know what.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Wow! 260 gallons? Those must be some massive pieces of java fern! I REALLY like the right side also. The tree stump-looking piece is great with the other plants partially abscuring it from view. If it were me, I would move the piece on the left over behind that plant in the middle, or behind the big piece of wood. That would leave the entire left side as open swimming area. You could plant a field of crypts...I'm not overly familiar with all the different species, but maybe someone will have a good suggestion.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
medicineman, giving you aquascape advice would be like suggesting new guitar licks to Eric Clapton...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Heheh... flattered.
I'm not that expert (the pic is a proof).

To make things tougher, I must also let you know that this tank is two sided

Seriously, please tell me what you guys think.
I'm thinking of something of lower maintenance but big enough, looking like a mother plant and a bit striking if possible (the rest of the tank are totally green). Came across me tiger lotus (but they are not so fast to grow to a good size) or colourful echis like red rubin or so.

Carpet would be nice (glosso, HC), but it is a great pain to do and it requires too maintenance that it is out of question. Overhauling this tank gives me a bad back already

Perhaps moving some of the wood (the left wood consist of several pieces of wood) to where the valis are would look nice. They are covered with moss, anubias and fern so it would add some colour to the mass of tree stump wood. Then the valis can go to the left where the wood is and see if it looks better...

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 03:59 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
You have answered your own question pretty much!! Go with that vision.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
How about some rocks on the left (in the first pic)? I dunno your the expert :P Seems like the hardscape is missing something there with no stem plants.

Never see too many tanks with rocks and driftwood, I guess it kinda takes away from a concept or theme (not very amano)... Maybe jsut remove the piece on that side altogether?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I played simple photoshop tricks (not too good at this, better not to touch the tank and create unecessary stirups) and here is what I get :

Name:  Image005!.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  98.1 KB

By simply removing the smaller group of wood on the left, the overall look from side A is already a lot better already (as I suspect earlier). The bits of wood with moss, fern and anubias will not get wasted as they can fit in the tree trunk driftwood on the right. I need to throw away the biggest wood only.

The result is a very big open space on which I have dwarf sag partially planted (will need a lot more sag if I remove the wood). I'd love some clump of crypt in the wood, but it is not so in season right now on the local market.

I thought open space is quite the style nowadays?
It looks more like some kind of a discus or arowana tank where you must have fast amount of free space to let the fish swim.

I know that open space is the best for neat glosso or HC carpet, but the tank is too darn big for that and I have no guts to do it when I remember of the maintenance.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your tank actually looks a lot like my discus tank in terms of wood placement and 2-sided view. I learned a couple things from my tank:
- Vals, sags, and similar are too invasive. They look nice at first, but once they take off, they are everywhere and can overtake your scape in a very short time. Once they invade, uprooting them will also dislodged your other plants so it's a pain. So if you want a low maintenace tank, stick with less invasive plants like C. balanse or C.helferi.
- As for foreground plants, HC is nice, if you can get it to grow well. Glosso looks very nice..when it first froms a carpet. After that, it's a pain since it'll get thicker and thicker.. quite high maintenance. After trying various foreground plants, I finally settled with hairgrass. Very low maintenance and not invasive.

Hope this helps,
Poe
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
is ET alot of maintanence? mine is growing very slowly. I think it looks better without the extra driftwood, IMO but what do I know?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 02:51 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
I dunno medicineman... Corkscrew or jungle vals would look pretty nice in the back left corner laying on top of the water towards the right.

With the design you have now, they would be a piece of cake to keep trimmed an managable...

Just an idea though. You have more experience than i do for sure.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post

I know that open space is the best for neat glosso or HC carpet, but the tank is too darn big for that and I have no guts to do it when I remember of the maintenance.
Yeah, I'm sure it can be time consuming. You should do a search for the 1600gallon planted tank that Tom Barr and a few other people were building. I believe they had a carpet of HC in that for some time. There are also some species of small crypts that can be used as a foreground (wilisii maybe?). I also know from experience that elatine trianda and hemianthus micranthemoides (same genus as HC) are easier to maintain as foregrounds, since all you really need to do is give them "haircuts" and let it grow back.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ive read that tank you mentioned. There is no way I can cope with such large tank. My biggest yet will be some 700-800 gallon and that is my limit.

I decided to add this piece of slender wood

It acts as an extension of the bigger root-like driftwood.

Now the whole scape retains its original form yet looks better than leaving the space empty with just carpet plants.

The excessive plants are there for temporary. I need initial plant load to save the tank from algae.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:43 PM

I still feel like the scape is unbalanced-- just too much dominant structure on the far right. I'd try to build up the strength of the hardscape in the middle some more-- and try to create some variations instead of just a simple slope. Perhaps a problem is th elack of visual complexity with the design.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have to agree somewhat with steven, about the scape seeming to be unbalanced. However, i think that the open space would be flattering with a large school of something (rasboras, cardinals, something like that) OR larger fish (discus most likely). You put too much hardscape in there and things look cluttered when it comes time to add your livestock.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I agree that at this point the scaping is too dull, even though it has a shape. A branchy, staghorn like wood rising up would break the dullness of triangular dominance. However I feel this one is much better since I removed the smaller clump of wood, it has the flow even though no strong character yet. Lets wait some time until the plants grow up. Some are just seedlings and emmersed buds, they sure will look different in 1-2 months ahead.

The large open space is just right for fish... and you can read my mind. Actually something like this is more suited to centerpiece fish like arowana, but it is too much to maintain. I'm going to try some discus instead.

And this is the other side.

also the side view

you can see the roots appear forked into two branches

I will update growth picture and any story with it at the photo album section.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode