lighting sequence? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
lighting sequence?

Hey everyone i have a 37 gal with mostly anubias plants in it. I read they dont like super high light to much and i have a 2x65watt coralife on it. It was growing really good when i switched from my 2x40 watt NO tubes. Then it sort of stopped.

I decided the light may have been to bright for what my tank is with DIY co2 and not very many ferts. So i decided to turn one bulb on at 7am, then the next one on from 12-3, then one on from 3-5. See what happens. Is this a good idea? I have virturally no problems with algae anymore. The tank has been setup for almost 2 years now.

I think the anubias plants are going like the lower light levels with the intense couple hours for the swords in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
You had 2x40w NO on it, and they were growing well, and then stopped when you switched to 2x65w?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

They didnt stop right away, took about 5months prolly. And my bad it was 2x20w normal output tubes. Not 40. So 1wpg then i swicthed to the 2x65w. And they grew at about the same pace. I had some jungle vals and other fast growers in there while it happend I took out all those plants. And everything stopped. I dose Flourish comprehensive, and do 5gal water changes every week. So i dunno whats up with them.

Most of the new leaves are super tiny and dont get much passed pea sized on the anubias. some of them are even turning yellow which i think is because of lack of iron? Oh and they also are curling at the edges instead of broad and flat, Whats it all mean!! lol

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You need to dose ferts (macros: NPK, and micros: TMG or CSM+B) for the plants to keep up with your lighting and CO2!

Your lights are telling your plants to grow, but there's no food for them to grow...

I'd run 65watts for most of the day, with two or three hours in the middle of the day with both banks running. And start dosing! Get some fertilizers from Greg Watson.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

could you direct me to some good ferts for what i need? i have no clue on ferts. The easier the better. and thanks for the quick replies.

Hopefully this fixes it and everything gets back to being Green and big
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

thanks i will give it a try!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
As to the light sequence, after you get your ferts and CO2 in order, your idea is workable. I have a 75 with 4 tubes over it. When they light up it is in this sequence:
2 bulbs 2 hours
3 bulbs 2 hours
4 bulbs 2 hours
3 bulbs 2 hours
2 bulbs 2 hours

How I do it: I have 2 bulbs on for the 10 hours, one bulb lights up for 4 hours the last bulb lights up for 4 hours 2 hours after the previous bulb.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode