What can I do with this thrift store find?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
What can I do with this thrift store find??

Today I went trash hunting at my local thrift store and picked up a brand new one of these in the box for a whopping $1.99.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,50560&p=10206

I couldn't resist buying it. I was trying to think what I could do with it besides growing java moss in it. Could I put it in a windowsill? The directions on the website say, "Keep out of direct sunlight, which can fade foliage and cause the globe to act as a burning glass." What in the world does that mean? Could I put a desk lamp over it? Sometimes I use old fishbowls in the windowsill to hold my mosses until I find a place for them. I would love for anyone to give me some ideas. I would not put any fauna in it, it be just used for small plants, or should I just re-donate back to the Salvation Army?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dim the lights, invite a bunch of friends over and sit around it at the table holding hands and stare at it intently until someones dead relative speaks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LOL, yes, I could do that. I was looking for ideas that were a little less psychic friends network though. Where is Dionne Warick when I need her? She could tell me what to put in it. Let get the phone and dial 1-900-.....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
actually putting a twig, plant, tiny snails, and tiny shrimp in there might be interesting, but you'd still have to water change it every week, throw in some food, and make sure the replacement water is O2/Co2 enriched. Make sure to leave an air pocket before you seal it. a better longer lasting idea would be to fill it with green water and keep lots of Daphnia and other tiny food critters in there. the shape would magnify light and make them appear larger than normal, and they'd survive weeks in there without ever having to open the bottle.

these sealed spheres have Daphnia and insect larvae in them, but don't let the hype of this web sight fool you. they all die within a few Months, so all you are left with is a nice looking twig in a watery sphere with a lot of crud on the bottom, so you end up sending it back to them for a "recharge". since there is a 12 Month warranty, you are actually paying up front for a free "recharge", but I'm sure the sellers are gambling that few people will bother shipping it back once it's all dead, and the thrill of initially getting this thing is long gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
actually putting a twig, plant, tiny snails, and tiny shrimp in there might be interesting, but you'd still have to water change it every week, throw in some food, and make sure the replacement water is O2/Co2 enriched. Make sure to leave an air pocket before you seal it. a better longer lasting idea would be to fill it with green water and keep lots of Daphnia and other tiny food critters in there. the shape would magnify light and make them appear larger than normal, and they'd survive weeks in there without ever having to open the bottle.

these sealed spheres have Daphnia and insect larvae in them, but don't let the hype of this web sight fool you. they all die within a few Months, so all you are left with is a nice looking twig in a watery sphere with a lot of crud on the bottom, so you end up sending it back to them for a "recharge". since there is a 12 Month warranty, you are actually paying up front for a free "recharge", but I'm sure the sellers are gambling that few people will bother shipping it back once it's all dead, and the thrill of initially getting this thing is long gone.
There was someone on another forum that said he had several generations of "shrimps" that re-produced and he had the orb for a few years. Not sure about bug larvae in them, last time I checked they had shrimps in them. They do need light to work correctly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Spypet, I appreciate the effort you put in to research the orbs. I was thinking along those lines. It would no be a problem to change the water every week. For CO2 enrichment I could use Excel. I'm not to sure about putting shrimp in there but, I could use a ghost shrimp. At 33 cents a piece it would not be a major investment. What do you think i should use for lighting? Could I put in a small anubias and use ambient room lighting? Thats the crux of my dilemma, what to use for lighting? I do think I could use java moss. I gave some to my mother-in-law for my old 3 gallon eclipse that she has. She NEVER turns on the light and somehow the java moss grows in there, I think it receives light from a window about 10 feet away from the tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I would not light it at all. just keep it near a table or desk lamp already in use, or get a small fluorescent desk lamp used for nanos or plants. just keep the bulb well away from the glass so it does not pick up much ambient heat coming off the bulb. if you have a fish tank where you diffuse Co2, just refill it with tank water a day after you water change, excel and fertilized on your fish tank, then you'll be sure the sphere gets dechlor'ed as well.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Many thanks. I will post a few pics after I get it setup.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I am looking at an eco-sphere that I have had for almost three years. The two saltwater shrimp (not bug larvae)in it are still alive and kicking and have grown since I got it.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode