Rocks or Driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Rocks or Driftwood?

Hi I'm getting ready to start the hardscape in my 24 gallon aquapod. I will be using ADA Amazonia for substrate but I can't decide if I want to go with rocks or driftwood or both? The LFS has a bunch of Old Blackwood for sale right now and I have a piece in my other tank and it looks great. For rocks I'm pretty limited since they don't have much, And I always feel dumb paying fish store prices for rocks and driftwood.

I will be putting in either Goo Obos or Dwarf Puffers so I need to create hiding places for them.

Also I can't decide on a scape? SHoudl I try playing with some sand this time? I'm afraid my Aquasoil will just get all mixed up eventualy... I'm thinking to have most of the scape in the center of the cube, with swimming aread around the sides and front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I would take time and consider all the rocks and driftwood and petrified wood being sold on ebaY and aquabid.
insist on pictures and measurements, and I'm sure you'll make much better choices there than at the LPS.
with USPS $8.10 flat rate boxes, 20+ pounds of rocks can be shipped very cheaply these days.
you can always do the furniture last, and use your substrate to focus on plant establishment and growth.

personally, I'm looking to combine manzanita twigs with petrified wood rock for my tank.
sorry, that idea does not offer many hiding places.
I fear any elaborate driftwood would steal too much light away from my plants.

here are some hidey hole ideas;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
I would take time and consider all the rocks and driftwood and petrified wood being sold on ebaY and aquabid.
insist on pictures and measurements, and I'm sure you'll make much better choices there than at the LPS.
with USPS $8.10 flat rate boxes, 20+ pounds of rocks can be shipped very cheaply these days.
you can always do the furniture last, and use your substrate to focus on plant establishment and growth.
Yea I could do that, but I'm not super worried about growing plants. When I search rocks or stones I'm not pullin anything up. I thik I may already have some petrified wood I could put in, but I'm not certain. I find it hard to buy driftwood or rocks online as I never know exactly what it is going to look like. Or what types of rocks would look good in my tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Landscapers have cheaper prices for rocks than your LFS and will probably have a lager selection.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Landscapers have cheaper prices for rocks than your LFS and will probably have a lager selection.
You mean stores like Home Deop or Lowes? Afraid I have never been to a landscaping store...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most mid sized cities have a rock farm. They have landscaping stone. I went to a tree place here in Lubbock Texas, got the same stone that the lfs was selling for 2.00 a lb for 29 cents a lb. Most will have a rubble pile too, that makes for a great bargain. Try you local nursery and they will probably be able to direct you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode