How often do you clean your glass? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How often do you clean your glass?

I have a question for all those with high tech, fert dosed, planted tanks out there,..

How often do you clean your glass? And at what point to you consider it bad enough that it needs cleaning?

I'll start,.. I have to clean mine about 2 times per week.
I clean it at the point when I can see that the glass has a green tint from sitting on the couch.

I'm curious if I'm cleaning more often than others,.. or if this is about on par for this type of tank.

Thank you!
Whiskey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Mine typically needs it after one week but can't see green unless I'm a couple feet away. I'm still tweaking things and learning my light may be too strong. I have LEDs ans w/o a PAR meter hard to tell. From what I've read you should not be doing what you're having to do. Are you running pressurized co2?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

John 14:6
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you've got a good question here. I personally just clean the glass on my tank once a week, when I change the water.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Planted Member

I have my tanks cleaned nightly by a crew of several hundred snails. Low light tanks I have not cleaned in over a year. Only the HO tank requires the removal of green spot algae on picture day.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Seems at least once a week...

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depends

On an algae infested tank, at least 2x/week

On one of my old setups I haven't needed to clean the glass since 2008. That tanks been setup 8 years and I haven't seen any algae on that tank since who knows when. I take care of it, the glass just never gets dirty. Although I must admit I clean the outside of the glass weekly because water droplets crystalize and make the glass dirty. But the inside, the part with water, not for a looong time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Once a week
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
once a week, only the front tho
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Maybe once a week. I use a toothbrush, and some evenings de-stress by sitting down in from of the tank and cleaning the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I clean it maybe once every 2-3 months. And it usually only has a few green spots on it at that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bigglesworth View Post
Depends

On an algae infested tank, at least 2x/week

On one of my old setups I haven't needed to clean the glass since 2008. That tanks been setup 8 years and I haven't seen any algae on that tank since who knows when. I take care of it, the glass just never gets dirty. Although I must admit I clean the outside of the glass weekly because water droplets crystalize and make the glass dirty. But the inside, the part with water, not for a looong time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My hero! :-)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have 6 tanks running currently, and I never have to clean the inside of the glass on any of them. The oldest has been up for about a decade and the glass has never needed to be cleaned other than after an algae bloom at initial startup. I clean the outside when I do a water change, which is bi-monthly or when nitrates hit 40ppm, whichever comes first. You guys can keep that high tech stuff and weekly water changes and glass cleaning.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
I have 6 tanks running currently, and I never have to clean the inside of the glass on any of them. The oldest has been up for about a decade and the glass has never needed to be cleaned other than after an algae bloom at initial startup. I clean the outside when I do a water change, which is bi-monthly or when nitrates hit 40ppm, whichever comes first. You guys can keep that high tech stuff and weekly water changes and glass cleaning.
:p

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I never clean it. I have a twig cat and a bristlenose pleco, plus this algae-eating goby and a few random snails. Before I had these guys, I'd clean it when the fish started looking green instead of any other color.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
When my tank was healthy and no algae, once 2 weeks or so.

Now that my tank has a bit of algae, darn you algae, I have to clean it once a week. In two weeks my front glass is 90% covered by algae and I cant see through the glass.

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >

My Hens and Chicks Plants >

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode