A new Black Substrate by Aquariumplants.com - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
A new Black Substrate by Aquariumplants.com

A while back I ordered an Aquarium Plants.com CO2 regulator (The Best) -very similar to Rex's excellent Cornelius/Clippard regulator. I highly recommend either of these regulators as I own both and they won't leak... but anyways, Mark, the owner of AP.com gave me a call to ask if I wanted a permaseal on the regulator. Talk about customer service! Anyhow, we got to talking about Aqua Soil etc.

He mentioned he was coming out with a new substrate which would be black in color, like the Eco and the yet to be released Black Flourite by Seachem. Well, I just noticed tonight that they have it for sale. A 5 gallon bucket for $30.00.
WOW I hope its good stuff. Here is the link...

AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Plant Substrate

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Did you see how much a 5gallon bucket covers? 4sq feet 3inches deep! One bucket is enough for a 55gallon tank! If it is as good as the others then that is an amazing price.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would love to see a photo of the grain size of the product. I'd also like to know the weight on the 5 gallon bucket. Is it heavy weighted like Flourite; or is it light weight like Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil, or Soilmaster select?
"Inquiring minds want to know!"

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Another thumbs up on the regulator. I picked one up about a month ago and it couldn't have been easier to hook up or use.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The site doesn't list an analysis of the contents, so it's really hard to compare it to any other product, nor does it say what it is or how it's processed, which are important things to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Looks almost too good to be true. Can't wait to hear some reviews.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Yea, depending on grain size, this could be a nice alternative.
I also can't wait to see the reviews, and content analysis.

It's got some tough competition now though.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I can't wait to see some reviews. May be the perfect choice for my 40g. It's about the same cost as gravel from the LFS....
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks kind of like the coal slag we sell at work for sandblasting, I know people have used it for substrates with good results before, you might look into that as well.

opening soon
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
unless they post whats in it then I wont trust it for that cheap of a price. It wouldnt hurt to list its nutrient levels. They have just entered into a big market and without any writing to back that product up then forget about it. Just my 2 nickles.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
* Used with our exclusive "Aquariumplants.com's own Substrate Fertilizer Tablets" we GUARANTEE success
this would lead me to conclude that substate is inert.
why else would they advocate using it with fert tabs?

I emailed them 3 different ways asking for more details
about composition and grain size, and still no reply.

post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla View Post
unless they post whats in it then I wont trust it for that cheap of a price. It wouldnt hurt to list its nutrient levels. They have just entered into a big market and without any writing to back that product up then forget about it. Just my 2 nickles.
Lets give them some time. It just came out. On the website they stated "more info coming soon". I have a feeling this is going to be a decent product and the price will eventually go up a bit. I like the 5 gallon delivery idea. Got to give them a good mark on that already.

Regards Spypets query, I imagine the root tabs are for plants which require nutrient uptake through their roots eg Anubias, Crypts etc. Also, these days, most companies cannot respond to each email within a few hours. Between Spam and normal operations, it just doesn't happen that fast, unless there is a monetary exchange involved. I try to be timely at my company, but it doesn't always happen. FWIW, I didn't hear back from Seachem for about 5 days on a query.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The math doesn't add up.

5 gallons = 1155 cubic inches.

48x12x3 = 1728 cubic inches.

So unless the stuff expands when it gets wet the math is all wrong.
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Well, according to their covereage estimate, the five gallon bucket comes out to about 28.3 liters, or a little over three 9-liter bags of ADA AquaSoil. At $57 shipped to me in California, it's almost $30 cheaper than the AS.

So I've taken the plunge and ordered me a bucket. Hopefully it'll be all that they say it is and I won't have just purchased the most expensive 5-gallon bucket in non-US Gov't procurement history.

Looks like it'll be time to redo my 10g work tank in a few weeks. Just in time for the holidays.

óBill

|
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
The math doesn't add up.

5 gallons = 1155 cubic inches.

48x12x3 = 1728 cubic inches.

So unless the stuff expands when it gets wet the math is all wrong.
I think a "5 gallon bucket" actually holds more than 5 gallons. When I have purchased paint in that size buckets the bucket wasn't full. However, I don't see that accounting for the 50% "error" you noted. Also, I'm not sure all of the buckets labeled as "5 gallon buckets" are even supposed to be 5 gallon size - that may be a generic term. Maybe this is the first time in the history of mankind when a product is delivered 50% over in volume!

Hoppy
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode