Plecos for a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Plecos for a planted tank?

I really like some of the smaller varieties of plecos. Do these fish do well in a planted tank? Thanks -Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
I don't see any reasons they wouldn't. pepermint pleco a bit pricy but not too big in size.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have a Clown Pleco in my tank. He doesn't cause any problems or damage any stem plants. Pretty small (maybe 3") but very shy.

Depending on the size of tank, keep with the smaller ones. The larger ones can damage plants.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
my plecos are doing great in my planted tank. no holes in my plants, and no algae on the tank!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
bushynose plecos are also good...they r cute and supposedely eat algae

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
I have a Clown Pleco in my tank. He doesn't cause any problems or damage any stem plants. Pretty small (maybe 3") but very shy.

Depending on the size of tank, keep with the smaller ones. The larger ones can damage plants.
Maybe this depends on individuals. On a local area forum I'm on, a guy was selling his clown because it was chewing holes in all his plants. Since this is hearsay, I can't vouch for it, but it might be something to watch for.

I have two bushynose in my big tank and they do great job. I also have a Gibbiceps in that tank and he does nothing but eat fish food.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
I have an adult male and 2 adult female bushy nose plecos in my 120gal and they are doing just fine. They don't eat the plants (even the large sword plants) and they are even breeding in there. I have heard they may start eating broad leaved plants if they are not getting enough vegitation in their diet.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I use rubberlip plecos. They stay small and don't eat plants.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
Up until a few months ago, I would have said rubberlips are excellent for planted tanks. The one I've had for about 5 years seems to have gone through some personality altering event! He actually atacks my hand whenever I clean the tank amd he's been uprooting plants. Attempts to catch him have proven quite frustrating... YMMV
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Mine are about a year old, I guess. I have one in a 10g and one in a 15g. Before I got them, I had a little GSA on the 10g tank walls. I had to scrape it off every other or third water change. It really wasn't bad.

I put one in the 10g while it had a little GSA on the walls. The rest of the week, I could see where it had been eating. That next Sunday was water change day and I scrapped the rest of the GBA off. When I refilled the tank; that little fellow went round and round the tanks walls with it's mouth stuck on the tank was. It was in a verticle position when it was going horizontally (or sideways) round and round the tank. It was really funny watching it do this.

The next couple of water changes, I scraped the little bit of GSA off that it hadn't eaten. Everytime after I did this; the little fellow went round and round the tank.

Now, there's not a spot of GSA. The little fellow is doing it's job well. It's not showing any aggression like you mentioned with yours that's 5 years old.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
Since this is hearsay, I can't vouch for it, but it might be something to watch for.
Might be an individual thing then. Mine hasn't ate any kind of plant (living that is). Then again he is rather well fed and has no reason to eat plants.

Guy at the store I bought him from said they are relatively plant safe but may eat very fragile plants. How fragile I cannot say. I have tons of moss, Riccia, and Rotala Rotundifolia.

Rubberlips are another good choice. I've yet to have own but heard nothing but positives.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 AM

I've had a pleco in my tank and it just uprooted the plants all the time from freaking out all the time. So I just gave it to my lfs.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I just bought a leapord pleco the other week and he's great. Not very active when lights are on, he stays attached to his favorite piece of driftwood. But at night he goes to work and keeps the gravel and side walls cleaned down.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
I have heard they may start eating broad leaved plants if they are not getting enough vegitation in their diet.
This one is true. I have a bristlenose. He never bothered my plants after coddling him with other foods.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I just bought a leapord pleco the other week and he's great. Not very active when lights are on, he stays attached to his favorite piece of driftwood. But at night he goes to work and keeps the gravel and side walls cleaned down.
Cool! My LFS had a single Leapord a few weeks ago. I didn't have any room so I had to pass on him. They are so cool looking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode