56g column vs. 55g long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
56g column vs. 55g long

So this is really bugging me. I already have a 56 gallon column tank, and Petco is having their annual dollar per gallon sale. I could get a regular 55 for 55 bucks. Would it really be worth it, though? I'm torn on what to do.

What would you guys do? Wouldn't scaping a regular 55 be much easier than other? Plus there's more stocking options, I'm sure.

Last edited by Blackheart; 07-19-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
a regular 55 is very thin (front to back), lots of people complain they are hard to scape and plant.

I would go down to a 40breeder or a 50, or up to a 65 or 75.

The biggest problem with you 56 column is the height and getting light to punch down. I would try for a tree stump/tallish looking piece of wood that I could put anubias and moss all over, maybe jungle val or crypt balanase for their height.

If you keep the plants low-mid light, a ray 2 would probably reach down strong enough without algae problems. Are you doing Co2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I'm only actually planning on planting lightly. The nicest thing is about the 55 at least is the length. And no, no C02.

Last edited by Blackheart; 07-19-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: ...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Regular 55 is hard to create depth in the scape. You can also keep larger fish in the column, because they aren't cramped by the 12" width of the regular. Lighting the column is an issue though, due to its depth. I like the regular 55 dimensions a lot actually, as long as you have a plan for creating depth in your scape. The length is nice for small schooling or shoaling fish.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I actually like the dimensions of the 75 a lot, but I'm on a bit of a budget, so that's why I'm going with the common Petco tanks on sale obviously. I really only plan on doing a couple small schools of fish. 12 White Clouds, and maybe a small school of tetras. But I figured in the 55, there'd be plenty of room for them, ya know?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
A lot of people have issues with the white cloud minnows because of temperature.. they're not really all that tropical...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've kept White Clouds for years. They are cold water fish, yes, but are pretty hardy and can withstand temps in the 80's. So I'm not worried about it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your in in Michigan? Keeping it cool should be easy Just get tetra that are happy at around 72 degrees. That should be warm enough for neons and such and cool enough for the white clouds.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Never Mind! Sounds like you are already experience with them - I'll shut up now !

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ohh yes It's pretty cold here. Except for right now! It's been in the 90's all week and even my tank, with no heater, has felt very warm O.O
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have to agree that you should get something with more depth (front to back) than the 55. You will be much happier in the long run. It really makes everything more interesting.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I did. I like the dimensions of a 55, but not the depth. And having a 75 is pretty much out of the question. Besides the price of the tank, I'm looking to spend about no money at all.

I decided on a 40 breeder

Last edited by Blackheart; 07-19-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: ...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

cool! Great size/shape.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Definitely! Just wish it was a littttle bit taller. Is there such a tank that even exists anyways? A tank that's 36x18x18? or 36x18x20? somethin along those lines?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glasscage make a 50 Tall 36 x 18 x 17 Tall for around a 100 bucks but the shipping kills you

Rick

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode