mbunas and live plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
mbunas and live plants

are there any plants that do well with mbuna? I have a 110 gallon mbuna tank that id love to see live plants in.... I have a basic single bright LED and a single T8 on it.. if I add a T8 for plants and maybe even some co2,,, can I make this work? I wouldnt even mind some fast growing plants they could feed on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Java Fern, Water Sprite, anacharis, floaters, should fit the bill. Maybe try some swords like Amazon, Rubin, Osiris, Melon, maybe Green Temple and see what happens.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
java fern and abubias tied on rocks, nothing on the substrate, they like to dig and will uproot the stems

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Jungle vals work in my cichlid tank, but with only a single bulb, they don't grow very well.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Many plants can work ok with mbunas, but here's the problem. Your plants will never be show quality, anubias and other plants will always have holes in the leaves, and plants will always have some algae on them. Number 2, you have to add everything all at once in very large quantity, putting in a single small anubias one at a time or something along those lines will be seen by the fish as a curiosity and it will be gone within a few days. Number 3, it is best to use very young, adolescent mbuna, which haven't developed any habits yet and can adapt better. Even better, add the plants first, then the mbuna.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I already have a fully established 110 gallon, adult mbuna tank. I don't mind adding lots of plants at once, and don't mind not being show quality... There are some plants other than broad leaved plants that may be able to take some abuse without being so noticeable....

Have a question about co2 and lighting....
It wouldn't take much to add co2, I have a manifold on a co2 tank in the same room... The aquarium is a tall tank,, maybe 24" tall or more... It is 48" wide as well. I forget how deep it is from front to back... I have two lights on it,, a fluorescent that holds a single T8 fluorescent bulb.. I just ordered this bulb for it... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4489 and a basic generic Aqueon Modular LED strip light from PetSmart...
Should I add the co2 or will the lights be enough... I looked into replacing the LEDs within the unit to support plants when I could, ... But it doesn't seem they make full spectrum, plant supporting LEDs for that unit.. They have white light and color max, from what I see online .... I'm trying to do this on a tight budget

Last edited by Loco4Tanks; 07-19-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Retarded
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have an Mbuna in my tank as well as other cichlids that are not plant friendly. The mbuna does dig up my stem plants from time to time and nips leaves.

Tank with mbuna----> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=235546&page=2

Mr Aqua 2.5

Mr. Aqua 17.4

55G

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:29 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
That's a large tank: plant plants in pottery pots and cover with stones. You can make a pretty stunning scape with that.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
That's a large tank: plant plants in pottery pots and cover with stones. You can make a pretty stunning scape with that.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Great idea
What about co2... Will that one T8 be enough to justify Co2?

I just thought of something.... If I split my co2 line and use inline miniature ball valves... Would that work to get co2 to a diffuser placed in the mbuna tank? I could just go by my co2 indicators to determine ball valve adjustments... Then I wouldn't have to utilize my manifold.

just made an order

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : Amazon Sword- Large pot

1 of : Blyxa auberti

1 of : Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)

1 of : Moneywort (Bacopa Monnieri)

1 of : Sword, Green Melon (Echinodorus Osiris)

1 of : Sword, Red Flame (Echinodorus Red Flame)

1 of : Sword, Red Melon (Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon")

1 of : Sword, Rose XXL (Echinodorus 'Rose')

I can use liquid co2 for the time being

my substrate is 100% black Diamond blasting sand,,, I'll do as OVT suggested and pot in flourite with tabs

I think my main diggers are my large upside down catfish and pleco. ..

Couple pics of the tank
Of course my three coolest fish wouldn't come out to play and let me photo them.. Also these were done with my phone.. Too lazy today to break out the real camera and download
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130720_135132.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	177617  

Name:	20130720_135710-1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	177625  

Name:	20130720_135624-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	177633  

Name:	20130720_135154.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	177657  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-20-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a planted tank with Pseudotropheous saulosi. The plants that have done well are anubias, java fern, hornwort, dwarf sag (too well at the moment), crypts, ludwigia repens, limnophila aromatica. You want to find plants that (a) do well in hard water and (b) are not too tasty to the fish. Vals, lilaeopsis, and riccia are among the many failures. You will want to secure rooted plants VERY well or they will be floaters.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I really need to get up to speed with plant names... I have a 14" amazon sword showing up this week, ,, along with a ton of other plants,,, went on a middle of night shopping spree a couple nights in a row. I had a fairly painful surgery recently and go to bed all doped up on percocets...spent about $200 ,,, no idea what I ordered, what type of water temp, co2, ph, gh or any of these perameters they need.. ordered off ebay, liveaquariumplants.com among other place..... guess I'll figure out what plant goes into which aquarium as I google the specs on each when they arrive... lol.. I have four active aquariums, , a 15 gallon tall with nothing in it and a huge bog filter for my pond.. sure to find a home for each.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode