Aponogeton boivinianus rotted? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aponogeton boivinianus rotted?

my Aponogeton boivinianus was dying, when i decided to changed things around my tank a very bad bad smell came out of the gravel. i just thought since my tank has been set up nearly 3 years (and this is the first time I was attempting to change the gravel from reg pea size gravel mixed with flourite with eco complete) that it was suppost to smell a little funkie. but when i pulled my Aponogeton boivinianus out!!! i looked at the bulbed and man it was rotten!!! so bad i had to toss it out.

has anyone had this before? should i go back to my backyard and maybe able to save it? (i highly, highly doubt it after that smell)

accourding to my research it is a aquatic plant, right?

-Wil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
It took me several tries to find a good boivinianus. The first 5 or so all rotted before even acting like Aponogetons. When that happens the bulb is dead.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks, i'll keep looking for more. though that was the first time i seen one at my lfs since i started this hobby ~3yrs ago. maybe aquabid might have some.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Rotting aponogeton bulbs have to be one of the worst smells in the world. I think the only thing I've smelled that was worse came out of a tupperware of unknown food that had been sitting in my fridge for several months.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
huge plant!

I bought this plant (a bulb with a few wrinkle leaf) a few weeks ago by impulse and now feeling like I had bought an Oscar for my tetra tank: In just a few weeks, the bulb sprouts about 6 more leaf that are 2 feet long, go up to the surface then curve down to touch the gravel (I have it right under the HOB filter. Tank is 46 gal bow front, with 96W CF). The leaf are about 2.5 to 3 inch width too!

A beautiful, majestic plant but too big, even for my 46 and 55 gal tanks...

BTW, after all of these grow, the bulb still does not show any long root that would attach to the gravel.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC.UNC View Post
Guys,

A lot of you are misinformed about Petsmart. I currently work there and at our store we do all the price matching from websites and other companies. We also call other stores for the customer and get their price and match it. Our employees that work in the fish and small animal section know a lot about fish and a lot of the things like the amount of salt that is put in the tank is company policy not store policy... so it irritates me when people say that the employees working in the fish department know nothing about fish, when there are a lot of stupid corporate rules that cannot be changed... Also people who routinely bring dead fish in cannot buy new fish unless their water is checked and up to expectations. So we do care about animals and their well being, and not just out there for profit only.
Is this posted in the correct thread? No one in this discussion mentions any chain petstore.

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:48 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy View Post
Is this posted in the correct thread? No one in this discussion mentions any chain petstore.
You sure you posted in the correct thread?

Did ya delete his post?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
You sure you posted in the correct thread?

Did ya delete his post?
That's why I quoted his post. So when he came back and deleted it, I wouldn't look like I was talking to air.

Sean

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to ragn4rok
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaGhost View Post
BTW, after all of these grow, the bulb still does not show any long root that would attach to the gravel.
Yes, mine also likes yours. It still doesn't grow any long root

I bought this plant from Tropica distributor in Indonesia.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have heard some differing facts on this plant. Do they suppose to go through a dormant period or can they continously grow? I just put one in my tank. I think they are definatly one of my favorite plants with thier beuatiful leaf structure. They are just too big for most, I cant wait to transfer it to a 150 tall (31" high) when I get that tank up and going. Definately to big for my 75g.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode