Dry vs. Liquid Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry vs. Liquid Ferts

I was recently advised to switch to dry ferts. I am currently using Seachem Flourish and the occasional root tab. Is there any difference between dry ferts and liquid? Should I switch?

Why i'm at it, what are the IDEAL Nitrate, Phosphate, etc. parameters you like to see for your plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Dry fertilizers are cheaper, that's the main thing. WAY cheaper. They're also easier to customize concentrations and stuff to fit your needs, so if you have problems with say iron, you can add more iron, or if you have plenty of nitrogen, you can lower the nitrogen...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:49 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Have to second what WallaceGrover said: dry ferts are so much cheaper it will blow your mind. Easier to customize, as well. Can use one of several nutrient calculators available online.

In most of my heavily planted tanks, I like Nitrates to be about 20-30PPM. But some hover around 10PPM. Just depends upon the plants in the tank, how quickly they're using certain nutrients, how much CO2 I'm pumping, how much fish waste there is, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the responses guys.

Unfortunately in Alaska we have no stores that sell dry ferts. Unless lowes counts.. Haha. So if I order them online I have to factor in shipping to AK. Which might cut in to "savings".
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Where in Alaska are you? I have a friend near Fairbanks that may be able to help.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anchorage, very far from Fairbanks.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Planted Member

yeah, i haven't seen any dry ferts around either (im in ak too)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fish, anchorage?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Planted Member

yeah, i haven't seen any either (im in ak too). i think i'm going to buy ferts from nilocg (another planted tank member) and he sells dry and liquid ferts.

oh and btw, if you havent been to alaska coral fanatics, you HAVE to go there. it is an amazing fish store in anchorage (i visited it when i was down there)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Just check out nilocg's WTS thread with fertilizers.

Shipping to Alaska costs the same as coast to coast, no big deal. And most people use fixed rate boxes, so, it does not matter where in US you live anyways.

Problem solved.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Planted Member

I will second online stores are better.
  • The good deals in local sotres you looking for are sold in large quantity, [email protected] 50lbs, [email protected]; unless you have a large garden/ tanks, or joining local group buy
  • save you time, you might end up running from stores to stores looking for all indegrents; One flat rate shipping box got all you need. irrc I ordered 4lbs of powder

Joe [
]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
OVT's response is spot on. Flat rate box = flat rate. Same cost for you in AK as me in KS.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Fish, anchorage?
what?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I think nilocg price matches if you find it cheaper and you can support a hobbyist
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Planted Member

yeah, this is his thread that has the ferts
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...281&highlight=

Tags
dry fertilizer, fertalizer, liquid fertilizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode