Need flow advice for my 75 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need flow advice for my 75 gal

I'm having difficulty getting a flow pattern that is satisfactory in my 75 gal. Currently running 2X Rena XP3's. I have tried a few different combinations of intake/outlet positions, but I can't quite find one that is just right. I like a lot of water circulation, but I don't want my plants all blown to one end of the tank.

My last setup had an intake at each end of the tank, and both outlets in the center. This gave good flow (especially since my aquascape is somewhat V shaped with fewer/lower plants in the middle). I did this both with spraybars and with the bare outlet pipes. Problem was that this left the returns sitting "out in the open" and it looked bad.

Right now I'm trying another setup that someone had talked about. Intakes still in each corner. Left side return is a vertical spraybar in the left corner pointed at the front glass. Right side return is vertical spraybar in the right corner pointed along the back of the tank. I was hoping to get somewhat of a circular flow pattern and hide the returns. The hiding worked, but I feel I'm getting a lot less circulation this way.

What else would you suggest. I'm open to any new ideas for my 2 canister setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

O.K. I'll try and ask another way. How do you two canister users have your intake/return lines positioned for best flow that also lets you hide them?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've always liked one Spraybar on one side (on the top) and then to run the other return/outflow very low in the tank on the opposite back side without a spraybar (in the corner just to the side of the intake) . I just let the non spraybar return flow - with a 90 degree elbow pointed toward/across the whole back going back toward the opposite intake (the spraybar side's intake). I have intakes on each corner.

This way I'm getting good flow on both the top and bottom and the plants aren't blown to heck. I'm now using the spendy Eheim installation sets to do this, but originally I made the non spraybar one out of spray-painted PVC. Works great for me, but I can (barely) see the upper spraybar. BTW, Wasserpest originally suggested this setup to me.

My new Hygrophila "Pantanal wavy" pretty much hides the spraybar and it takes the current fine. First plant I've had that takes current that well and looks cool swinging in the flow. Before I tried some C. balansae, but it kept melting from getting beaten up in the flow.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Betowess, I'm giving your recommended setup a try right now. But I'm having one issue. There seems to be a dead spot right in the front center down low. I just noticed a small amount of BGA showing up there.

For the rear return I'm using all the spare parts from both my XP's to end up with an open pipe that is low in the rear corner and directed parallel to the back wall. Is this how yours is setup, or are you angling it out into the tank somewhat?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
Betowess, I'm giving your recommended setup a try right now. But I'm having one issue. There seems to be a dead spot right in the front center down low. I just noticed a small amount of BGA showing up there.

For the rear return I'm using all the spare parts from both my XP's to end up with an open pipe that is low in the rear corner and directed parallel to the back wall. Is this how yours is setup, or are you angling it out into the tank somewhat?
Come to think of it, I've turned it both ways - out ( ~ 45 degrees ) and the opposite - angled a bit into the back's glass . If you want more water in the low middle, try swinging it out. I actually have a bit of flow there and I'm not sure if its from the spraybar hitting the opposite glass and rolling down low and back toward the spraybar side, or if its that second low return.

Maybe both... The more I think about it, its probably more from the low rear return. It blows my little plants there a bit, I've noticed. Maybe try it both ways, but I would try pointing it out a bit first. If the flow is too strong, then you can try bouncing it into the back and have it maybe ricochet back to the middle. Good luck.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 12-09-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode