Dwarf Hairgrass Troubles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Hairgrass Troubles

Hi guys, this is my first post. I'm having problems growing DHG. I've tried my best to follow advice given online but haven't had success. The fist two times I tried, it melted within two weeks. This is my third go around.

My tank:
regular 4 foot 55 gallon. on 10 hrs a day
4 T5 55 watt bulbs (4wpg)
Eco-complete substrated mixed with gravel. (I just capped a small area with sand to try and grow DHG)

Dosing:
Seachem excel
Seachem flourish
Root Tabs
Pressurized CO2

So this is my third time trying to grow DHG. I've changed several things to try and get it to grow. I added sand, Seachem Excel, Seachem Flourish, root tabs, upped my light, and put a wire cage around the DHG. I'm two days in and can't tell for sure, but it looks like some algae might be trying to grow on the DHG.

Any recommendations? What have you guys done to get DHG to grow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0014.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	176769  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You have everything except for dry ferts. Start dosing macros and you wont be able to stop the hairgrass.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I forgot to mention that my water is very hard and has a PH>7.6

Blue, Shouldn't Seachem flourish and Root Tabs be enough?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

While the ph and gh may be an issue, and I'm not saying for sure it is, not having macros definitely is and is priority one. I grew hairgass with out root tabs in plain flourite gravel. I had a setup like you but dosed ferts. It got so out of control I couldn't keep up with it anymore. With that light and pressurized co2 you need dry ferts. Flourish by itself is not enough.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll try and find them somewhere. Finding the right stuff is always hard in Alaska. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No problem, glad to help. If they can ship to you, I recommend getting them from someone on this forum like I did. If you can't, there's ways to source them locally by looking for them branded as other products.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, you might want to cut back on the light intensity and duration until you can find them, otherwise you'll probably run into algae problems.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good call. Thanks again
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
greenleafaquariums has a cheap fert package that cones with everything you need. it was about 35 shipped I think.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Are those T5NO or T5HO bulbs? What kind of reflector/fixture?

Watts Per Gallon is something you should ignore/forget entirely. It's no longer a thing.

Why a wire cage around the Hair Grass? You're likely blocking light - along with lighting blocked by the wood.

If you want Hair Grass to spread more quickly, you'll want to plant it sparsely in a checkerboard pattern - not in clumps.

It can take a few weeks or even a couple months to settle in and start growing well even in the best conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

T5HO. No idea on the type of fixture. It's from odyssey and cost about 115

The wire cage is so that my Cory's and other bottom feeders don't rip out the grass. They do otherwise. And the wire is very fine. I guarantee it is not blocking light. And the wood is in the very back of the tank and the grass is in the front. The light is not blocked by the wood either.

I did plant it as individual plants in a checkerboard pattern. I realize the picture may be difficult to see, sorry. And I'm not worried about it spreading "fast". I just want it to live and start to send runners. That would be a major step up from my first two attempts.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get those macros and soon you will hate how fast the runners spread.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What are considered macros? Nitrate, phosphate, phosphorus?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

Never had a problem with my fish ripping out the hairgrass. I would remove the cage and be patient. It takes a while for it to start runners, but once it does it grows fast.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I had barbs it was their mission in life to rip them out. My Cory's, loach, and CAE do it on accident while feeding. The cage is just so they can take root a little bit. I'll remove it as soon as I think they won't be ripped out by mistake.

Tags
55 gallons, dwarf hairgrass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode