Macrandra Deficiency Requests.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Macrandra Deficiency Requests....

The first picture is my Macrandra 1 week after planting, the second, 2 weeks after planting.

It appears I have a deficiency but I can't nail it down. Some of the other stems are doing a lot better, no white veining but less than stellar color. All other plants are growing very well especially Rotala 'green'. The tank pearls like a champagne glass.

Before I get into any details about the tank, I'd like people to throw out some ideas as to what the deficiency might be. Much obliged.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Mine behaved similarly when my nitrate was too HIGH (looked their best with NO3 lower than 10ppm).

Sergio C.

-
-
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 11:51 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I am with Sergio....same goes with mine. Now mine looks like your first pic again.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm... interesting. I have Aquasoil in the tank along with Powersand. It's been setup for about 5 weeks or so and I have done several WC's including two recently with RO to bring my kH fown from 8.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:24 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The leaves don't look deformed or stunted.

My gut is with the rest so far, NO3 is probably a bit on the high side.

How is your light, Bob?

Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Mike,

Light is just over 4 WPG with 3x55 over the 37G cube.

It seems odd that nitrate would be high after so much time and WC's, lots of carbon in the filter, and no fish load.

Do you think this problem may be caused by water a touch on the hard side? I recently discoverd that my stonework was causing increased hardness and keeping the kH at 8 just as tap is. I removed the stones and did a 50% RO WC dropping my kH to 4 and it should drop further due to the AS.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 12:55 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
The leaves don't look deformed or stunted.

My gut is with the rest so far, NO3 is probably a bit on the high side.

How is your light, Bob?

Mike
If the leaves DID look deformed/stunted, what would you suspect? MY Macrandra isn't looking so hot
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:21 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Stunted leaves can be lack of light and/or Fe and Potasssium deficiency.
Spend a week each adding one or the other until you see normal growth. Then you can narrow down what you are missing and provide it going forward.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I honestly don't think it is high nitrate considering my high light, high CO2, and large biomass of plants. I added about 7 ppm NO3 and about 4 - 6 ppm of PO4. Trace dosing is fairly heavy and I am working to reduce the hardness of the water. I will report back in a few days or so.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it's light and iron.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode