Microrasbora sp. Galaxy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Microrasbora sp. Galaxy

Hi all,

I just had to share my happiness in getting my latest editions to my low light planted aquarium.

Microrasbora sp. Galaxy

These fish are brand new in the aquatic trade and were only discovered a couple of months ago. Have a look at this article in Practical Fishkeeping's website.

They are beautiful little fish and I would recommend them to anyone looking for something very small and different. The picture really doesn't do them justice and I'm sure they will out shine my Cardinal Tetras. They are perfect for my tank in which I hope to breed shrimp as their mouths are too small to eat the babies. Although other fish in there will eat them easily.

They cost me £40 ($77.29) for 10 or £4.50 ($8.70) each, I just had to get 10 so it would make a nice shoal. I also bought 10 lovely Bumble Bee shrimp for £18.00 ($34.78), my wallet is really hurting now lol!

Well worth the money and the 2 hour drive from my house into Central London where the shop is located...

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Sometimes you just have to splurge, Alan!!

Mike
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I agree totally! Splurging is very satifying...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 06:31 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very nice looking fish. At first glance it reminds me of miniture brook trout with the spots. The article says it comes from Myanmar used to be Burma for us oldsters. I know Myanmar does not have good trade realation with most western nations so I imagine it will stay expensive until and unless some can captive breed them in large quanties.

Rick
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon View Post
Very nice looking fish. At first glance it reminds me of miniture brook trout with the spots. The article says it comes from Myanmar used to be Burma for us oldsters. I know Myanmar does not have good trade realation with most western nations so I imagine it will stay expensive until and unless some can captive breed them in large quanties.

Rick
That is exactly what I thought, they look like a cross between a Trout and a Roach. Not sure if you get roach in the states, google it and you'll see what I mean.

They are expensive at the moment because of that fact and also because they are so new in the trade. Thankfully someone in the UK has been able to get these fish to spawn already, there will be an article on PFK's website very soon... I think the price of these will come down very soon and availability will be excellent...

Well mine have settled in very well within 2 hours of being in my tank... the funny thing is they make my shoal of 7 cardinals look like big fish! very strange but puts their size into perspective.

Last edited by B2k2; 11-28-2006 at 05:50 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k2 View Post
That is exactly what I thought, they look like a cross between a Trout and a Roach. Not sure if you get roach in the states, google it and you'll see what I mean.

They are exepensive at the moment because of that fact and also because they are so new in the trade. Thankfully someone in the UK has been able to get these fish to spawn already, there will be an article on PFK's website very soon... I think the price of these will come down very soon and availability will be excellent...

Well mine have settled in very well within 2 hours of being in my tank... the funny thing is they make my shoal of 7 cardinals look like big fish! very strange but puts their size into perspective.
What temperature do you keep your fish? Are they tight schoolers? I can buy some locally for about $12 per fish, so I wanted to know how some people keep them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

My tank is set to about 24 - 25 degrees C or 75 - 77 degrees F, I keep it coolish for my mosses and shrimp but fish like it low also.

So far they are very tight schoolers, but this may be because they are new. All 10 follow each other around very closely, they are so funny to watch and I think they have settled in very well. They especially seem to like playing in the filter outlet current, as they are so small they have to swim really hard against it...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Do you think a 60 gallon tank would be too big for these fish? Are they better off in a smaller tank? How big of a tank do you keep them in?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasD View Post
Do you think a 60 gallon tank would be too big for these fish? Are they better off in a smaller tank? How big of a tank do you keep them in?
A rule is the bigger the tank, the better. Of course, they appreciate large swimming space especially when kept in a very large shoal. 60 gallons is fine. Would love a shoal myself but I can't have them shipped here unless someone from UK pays shipping free for me.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
A rule is the bigger the tank, the better. Of course, they appreciate large swimming space especially when kept in a very large shoal. 60 gallons is fine. Would love a shoal myself but I can't have them shipped here unless someone from UK pays shipping free for me.
I totally agree there! But to be honest I think any tank is going to feel like the atlantic to these fish as there are so small... Mine have totally settled in now and shoal very nicely, I swear my cardinals keep following them tho!

hmmmm was that a hint at me Bluebell? I could only just about afford the fish let alone any postage lol! Also if you live in the Philippines then they come from your side of the world anyway, your so close you could swim over and get them yourself lol!.....
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Very neat looking fish. I may just have to buy some when I get my 90g up and running. I'd like to know a little more about caring for them, though. And, uh....maybe not depending on the shipping.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k2 View Post
hmmmm was that a hint at me Bluebell? I could only just about afford the fish let alone any postage lol! Also if you live in the Philippines then they come from your side of the world anyway, your so close you could swim over and get them yourself lol!.....
Pretty neat. Would love to swim to their origin but it would take me a lot of effort. I do love these fishies but if only someone would ship even 10 for me.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I got 8 of them and they see very Hardy. Somehow I found one in my water change bucket, but I had no siphoned any water out of the tank into the bucked other than dumping the canister filter, I think it was living in the filter for a while.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Aquamain's in Greensboro, NC just got some in. They're $19.99 each. These were tiny.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:04 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Do you think these will do well in a 90 gal with an dwarf panda apistogramma in it? My Apisto is gentle as can be, but I saw him chase one of my Microrasbora brigittae the other day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode