Java fern and java moss on same rock? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well about 10 weeks ago I added my first plant to the tank, L. sessifloria via 5 stems (got 6 but butchered that one) Week later added 6 stems of Green Hygro and now have a 37 gallon AGA tank that is almost full of plants minus the spot I got reserved for Sunset Hygro which I will be adding within a week or 2.

Ok with all that said, I got a lava rock in there also which I would like to add a Java Fern to. And now I was thinking hey what if I tossed some java moss on the same rock to cover up the lower parts of the fern. Well to me it sounds like a good idea, where the java fern can expand high from the rock, while keep the moss trimmed to a nice "fur" over the surface of the rock.

So my question is... Is this doable? Will the moss inhibit the growth of the fern? And to further compound the problem, my current plants strip the water colum to unmeasurable NO3 level ( & P but dont have a test kit for that) so I resorted to using jobe palm and fern plant spikes in the substraite. Will have have to switch to using KNO3 and {monopotassium phosphate or Fleet Enema} to supply the moss / fern with N and P?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've got a half-baseball sized clay rock covered in Java Fern and Java Moss that I'm going to post on aquabid.com
It looks really neat. Like you said - the moss covers the ugly brown roots of the Fern.

So yeah, it's doable!

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should you put that up for bids if you could let me know, as I do not view that site currently. Half a basketball might be too big for my tank as the rock I was talking about is only about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide, but who know it might work out for me. Anyways should you put it up, a 411 as to when you post it would always be appriated

Also if anyone has any ideas if I would run into problems starving these plants of N and P would be appriated as they will need to compete with some seriously fast growing weeds, but I do like my weeds so thier removal is not an option.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 07:28 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
hey SHAKEY he said half a baseball not a basket ball
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh wow, my bad, that's really wierd that I thought he said basketball, seeing as I have seen but maybe 10 basketball games in my whole life. Well then that case no problems at all getting it to fit in the tank ops:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 03:57 AM

I'd dose some nitrate to keep it at 5-10, then all should be good.

Java Fern & Java moss seem to always work well together and almost everytime I've bought Java Fern, theres Java Moss in the roots.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey
Should you put that up for bids if you could let me know, as I do not view that site currently.
Here it is...
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...amp;1073318255

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I like the brown roots of the Java fern! I would not want to hide them.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nice rock, I managed to check out the auction. I had a question tho, is that the narrow kind? I am currious, cause I kinda am in need of some fat leaves, since my current plants are all narrow leaved stem plants. But I figured I would ask as I am not sure if those are just young leaves or whatnot. Thanks for the heads up on the auction post !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode