can't get red sea co2 regulator to work - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
can't get red sea co2 regulator to work

I finally started setting up my tank and wouldn't you know, there are problems already. I have a Red Sea paintball setup, and the regulator refuses to work. I tried two different canisters, both of which had just been filled. Neither registered any pressure on the regulator. I took it to the LFS and the guys there couldn't get it to work either. Has anyone out there had the same problem, because I'm pulling my hair out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Ugh great.. I just ordered the red sea paintball system :-(
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
red sea has terrible non-responsive customer service, so if anything is defective, best to return it to the reseller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if maybe you need to lubricate the threads on the regulator? That's the only thing that I can think of--that maybe it didn't screw in all the way. It seemed to be in pretty well, though; I had to remove it with some pliers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
There is no need to lubricate the threads.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
There is no need to lubricate the threads.
The only reason I'm asking is that it seems like the pin may not have reached the tank, and therefor the gas wasn't released. I thought maybe lubricating it might allow me to tighten it some more. But you're probably right--why would they make it so hard to tighten that you'd have to take extra steps. I'm stumped; it released zero gas from the tank, so something is wrong.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
BRAINSTORMING: Nothing is cross threaded? Are there bits of packaging materials that may have gone unnoticed? Is there some sort of covering over the opening of the paintball canister?

I would imagine things should just fit together pretty fluidly. There should be no reason to have to force anything or really tighten down on something. Take your time and be careful.

I know you have done this, but I'll suggest it again. Put the whole thing down for a while and walk away. Come back to it again later with a fresh head.

Mike
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Should there be any threads still visible on the tank (the male part)? It seems like the tank isn't screwing all the way in.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I had a friend check it out, and he thinks the same thing that I do--it's just not fitting, so the pin is not connecting. Is there anything I can do other than return this thing?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Return it.

It wasn't cheap, I am sure, and it isn't working.

You work hard for your money and deserve a product that works properly and safely. It stinks, but just wait it out a little while longer and get one that works.

Mike
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Return it.

It wasn't cheap, I am sure, and it isn't working.

You work hard for your money and deserve a product that works properly and safely. It stinks, but just wait it out a little while longer and get one that works.

Mike
I'm trying to. I left an email and a voicemail on Saturday and this morning, and have not heard back from them. Hopefully they were just out over the weekend.

And I don't work hard for my money
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'll post my experience with the Red Sea paintball system.

I purchased one 6 months ago online. My first unit was defective in a similar fashion to yours. I tightened the regulator all the way down but the pin did not engage and pressurize the regulator.

I emailed support ([email protected]) and received a quick and friendly response from "Pinky". I was shipped a new unit the next day and had it 3 days later. I sent them back the defective unit for analysis, but never heard anything back.

The second unit works well and has been setup in my office since. It does take quite a bit of force to change the cylinder, but since I only have to do it every 4 months or so I don't mind.

Pros -
Compact size great for small spaces
Great needle valve - control is precise and consistent

Cons-
Changing the bottles is a bit of a pain as it takes a large adjustable wrench and a small pipe wrench to get the paintball bottle tight
The included Co2 reactor is garbage....buy a diffuser instead.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Should there be any threads still visible on the tank (the male part)? It seems like the tank isn't screwing all the way in.
No threads are visible when the regulator is fully "seated" on the Co2 cylinder.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode