pH going from 6.8 to 7.6. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
pH going from 6.8 to 7.6.

At the end of the evening when my air stone has been off the longest and my co2 and lighting has been running all day my pH is 6.8. My light cuts off at 10pm and the air stone kicks on (diy co2 stays on 24/7). After 10 hours with the airstone on and the light off my pH is 7.6.

I don't know if this is a crazy swing in pH. My question is how serious is this difference and what does it say about my co2? I got my drop checker yesterday and it was just turning green before the light kicked off.

BTW I realize the reason for the pH swing is the lack of light and the air stone. I'd rather go from 6.8 to 7.6 than from 6.8 to 6.0 (light and air off).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
don't worry about it. pH drops from the co2 being in the water. It goes through a chemical process that releases an acid, hence the pH appearing to drop. this drop isn't a concern.

it goes up after your co2 is off because that reaction is no longer occurring. no biggy! it just means you're getting good co2 dissolution in the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
don't worry about it. pH drops from the co2 being in the water. It goes through a chemical process that releases an acid, hence the pH appearing to drop. this drop isn't a concern.

it goes up after your co2 is off because that reaction is no longer occurring. no biggy! it just means you're getting good co2 dissolution in the water.
So I don't need to stop running my air stone at night? I was concerned that during the day when it was off my fish would suffer so I let it run at night. Also, I know that the plants dont' use the co2 when the lights are off so I figured the air stone would remove some co2 since it runs 24/7 and give my fish some relief at night.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What is the size of the tank, and how are you diffusing CO2? I doubt you have to worry about gassing the fish with DIY in any case.

I would opt for not running the air stone at night just to stabilize the CO2 levels, reducing the likelihood of BBA.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
What is the size of the tank, and how are you diffusing CO2? I doubt you have to worry about gassing the fish with DIY in any case.

I would opt for not running the air stone at night just to stabilize the CO2 levels, reducing the likelihood of BBA.
It's a 25T (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, >5 nitrate) with a glass ceramic diffuser. I use two 2 liter bottles for DIY. If my new drop checker is accurate I'm between 20 and 30 ppm co2. It's green but not deep green. I was worried that if I don't run the air stone at night the co2 might drop the pH from 6.8 to even lower. It goes up to 7.6 during the night. If it goes 0.8 the other way it'll be 6.0 and that would worry me. Unless I pull the co2 and the air at night but then I worry I'm not getting the air my fish need. I have 5 black skirt tetras, 8 neon tetras, 2 cory catfish, and 1 ADF.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
i never run an airstone, but i also turn off my co2 with the lights.

you don't have the same option with the DIY set up unfortunately.

I highly doubt your pH would drop any more than that at night. how is the water surface?

if it's rippling without breaking the water's surface, you're going to have good gas exchange for oxygen. i wouldn't worry about it at that point

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i never run an airstone, but i also turn off my co2 with the lights.

you don't have the same option with the DIY set up unfortunately.

I highly doubt your pH would drop any more than that at night. how is the water surface?

if it's rippling without breaking the water's surface, you're going to have good gas exchange for oxygen. i wouldn't worry about it at that point
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish do not mind the pH swings because of CO2.
Here is one way to 'turn off' the DIY CO2:
Set the bottles on top of the light. When the light turns on it warms up the yeast, and the yeast produces more CO2. When the lights turn off the yeast cools off.
Not great, but something.

In a tall tank you may be getting some benefit from the increased circulation of the bubbler. If you stop using it, watch the tank to be sure things are still OK.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode