Help to identify a worm and a "DOT" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Help to identify a worm and a "DOT"

Hi! New here, but I've found lots of information and was hoping someone could help me identify this worm and a worm "DOT" thingy. Ok, ok I know first question is can you post a pic. YES! I actually bought a damn microscope so I could get a clear image!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The "dot" is a freshwater copepod.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Really? Thanks, at first I thought they were microscopic air bubbles until I noticed they were moving random directions against the water current. That pic is under 100x magnification, the actual size is somewhat smaller than the tip of a ball point pen!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Cool!! you have a microscope. I plan on buying one as well. What kind of microscope do you have? How much was it?

Anyways, back to your problem. I can't answer your question but maybe the following thread can: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...946&highlight=

EDIT: actually, the worm might be a nematode. Here, read this https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=nematodes

Last edited by Mizuhuman; 07-17-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: update
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Actually I bought a cheap pocket microscope, it has an attachment for my iPhone 5 and was really easy to use, except the worms seem to hate light and run from it! Lol

Here's a link to the one I purchased on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHW8J62/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was leaning towards nematodes, but with such a variety of different subspecies out there I could find pics that could be what I saw, or looked like it, from a distance without much focus. Glad it's all relatively harmless. My water levels stay very good even with two snails and 17 fish in my 10 gal, and now 25+ baby mystery snails (any advice on how to get rid of them without feeling guilty?) tank looks like a jungle, the plants do well and have really taken off with the CFL bulbs, but also makes it hard to vacuum the sand without crushing or uprooting plants. I need to figure out how to put a smaller gravel tube on my python. (And finally set up my big tank, or maybe just buy it first)

Thanks for the info!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode