What would you do differently? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
What would you do differently?

If you were to start all over - and I mean ALL OVER (new hardware, fish, plants, substrate, tank, whatever) - what would you do differently?

For my answer:

I think I would go with ADA aquasoil and would instead of the mix of gravel, Red Sea Flora Base, and Eco-Complete I have now.

I would also order a pile of Manzanita drift wood instead of the bog wood and rocks I got from the LFS.

Finally - instead of the community tank approach, I'd probably go with a large school of tetras or Rasboras - a single species of fish only in the tank.

All in all, I guess you could say if I were to start over I would lean WAY more toward the practices of Amano. When I started he wasnt as big in the US as he is now.

Oh....plus I would put the tank upstairs instead of in the basement where no one ever sees it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:49 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
1) Never again buy a hex tank
2) Buy a filter that is more than enough flow and tone it down instead of buying one that is just enough flow and worry about it slowing down.
3) Probably stick with nothing but nano cubes. They are so much less of a hassle than regular tanks.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pay the diff and buy Starphire glass.

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Not have a bunch of small tanks and focus on two tanks 55g or above.

It's always easier to find room for a small tank than a large one...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:18 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
My hardware is just what I want. As for the layout, I will be starting all over again in January. And Next September. And the January after that if I can get a tank in Japan (will be studying abroad).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:33 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
what would i do differently? -had I known better;
listen to any saleman no matter how smart at any LPS
sold me the wrong gravel, lighting and fish for a planted tank.
or follow the closed minded "experts" over at tropicalresources.net
preaching a tank blackout as the solution to every problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:58 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I would probably go with a regular acrylic instead of the "show" tank that is much higher. Also pick a steel base that isn't so tall. Planting, and maintenance are very hard with you are literally up to your armpits while standing on a ladder <my aching back>
I would also pick a large school of one type of fish and shrimp. And I would have shut my mouth when I decided to take Kenny bin laden into the fold. <The little sh*thead injured my pygmy cory a little while ago> I mean geeesh pick n someone your own size!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (80/100%)
Using brightsand with aquasoil. It just ends up mixing together and its a pain in the you know what! I even have rocks to seperate the two, but somehow they mix. My next mistake Platy fish man they just breed way to quick.

Last edited by gabeszone247; 11-26-2006 at 04:01 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What would you do differently?

I have two, small (apartment size) aquariums. The first one I put on a room divider that is about 42" high (I'm about 63" tall). This divider height is the perfect height for observing the aquarium and its in habitants (3 H&T tetras, 2 Black Neons) as I walk by or just stand there and let them watch me [they think I'm cool ]... but it's a bad height for maintenance. I have to stand on something to reach into the tank and I have not yet found a good step stool. My second, slightly larger tank I put on a sturdy surface (a table my dad built years ago for a heavy old ham(?) radio) that is good to sit in front of (in a rocking chair or at my computer) and it's at a good height for maintenance: I can stand over it and reach in when necessary. Eventually I may move the #1 tank down 2-3 feet, but since it's almost a showcase and the fish are hapy, moving it can wait.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
not be so cheap and buy all the right equipment the first time

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Buy a 120 gallon with MH/T5 combo like a Maristar. Plumb for auto water change from the getgo too. Also with back of tank bulkheads, maybe... Oh yeah, and have too much money to afford all this stuff.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 07:25 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
I have two, small (apartment size) aquariums. The first one I put on a room divider that is about 42" high (I'm about 63" tall). This divider height is the perfect height for observing the aquarium and its in habitants (3 H&T tetras, 2 Black Neons) as I walk by or just stand there and let them watch me [they think I'm cool ]... but it's a bad height for maintenance. I have to stand on something to reach into the tank and I have not yet found a good step stool. My second, slightly larger tank I put on a sturdy surface (a table my dad built years ago for a heavy old ham(?) radio) that is good to sit in front of (in a rocking chair or at my computer) and it's at a good height for maintenance: I can stand over it and reach in when necessary. Eventually I may move the #1 tank down 2-3 feet, but since it's almost a showcase and the fish are hapy, moving it can wait.
Man I feel you pain!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby View Post
Man I feel you pain!

Ah... thanks. Considering I only started back in August 2006 (after last having had an aquarium sometime in the mid 1960s), I don't really have much to complain about. I've lost only 4 fish out of ~18 in all that time (i.e., 3 months) and the last loss was unexpected, a pygmy cory on Nov 4; the remaining 4 pygmies seem to be happy and active (they like to school with the black neons), as do the other tetras. The tanks look pretty, bright and green, each a good combination of an indoor garden and a tabletop fountain. I should clean up my cluttered apartment and give tours of my little tanks ... nah.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
WAIT until I had everything necessary to get a good start rather than trying to piecemeal it! Might have had few algae problems that way. AND get at least a 75 rather than the 55. The 55 is such a pain to try to do any sort of a 'scape in.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode