Help! My tank is leaking! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
Help! My tank is leaking!

I don't even know what to do at the moment...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Start lowering the water I would suppose and find a temporary home for your fish- a bucket, cooler, whatever you can get your hands on.
Got a filter or air pump you can use on a temporary holding tank?
How big is the tank and where is it leaking from?

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

50 gallon, and it's not even two weeks old. I just pretty much started this hobby.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
also make sure the tank is actually leaking, any material that wicks water can pull it out of the tank and over the side, just ask Scolly with the big clear kahuna. Also check all of your filters, rule everything out before you get drastic and drain the whole thing. Also if it is leaking partway up the seam, you may be able to leave it partially full.

Otherwise new 2 fish has it right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

I have a 10 gallon that I'm setting up, but what so I do about the plants? Maybe I should just sell them off and start over? I have to work in the morning, and this is just bad... Very bad...

I've had nothing but a pain in the rear with this hobby.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
From where is it leaking?

Was it a new tank?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Just put the plants in a bucket, that will get them a couple of days at least, wet newspaper in a plastic bag works too. Breathe, you don't have to completely fix this tonight.

Step 1 Stop the leaking, protect your home
Step 2 make reasonable Temporary accomodations for the livestock and plants
Step 3 assess the problem
Step 4 come up with possible solutions
Step 5 pick one and go with it

Step 1 and 2 are all that you have to do right now, really step 1 only. But you wouldn't be here if step 2 wasn't important to you.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Brand new tank - not even two weeks old. The water was massing around the center support. Can't really tell even now that it's empty, how it was leaking.

Hopefully yhe LFS will trade me up.

Tell me this isn't a common issue...

Is there a reason tanks leak?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tanks will leak if stands are uneven and much support(including rockworks) are concentrated on one area particularly the center(where the stand's part may also be weak).
Thickness of glass is also one of the factors to consider. Some tend to bow into the center and later on, give way thus resulting to breakage of glass or tank leakage.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Having a two week old tank leak is NOT common at all. I've never had a tank leak and I have 6 tanks set up right now.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Found a crack in the bottom corner. Wasn't there before either, since I already cleaned it out once to change the substrate a few days ago and didn't see anything. I don't understand. Tank was level as well. I even checked it again while I Was emptying it.

It was all good until I did a 50% water change today.

Do you think the LFS will trade me up, or do you think I'm gonna get the blame? I did have 60# of flourite in there.

My little cory cats are scared to death of me now. First the water change, then 5 hours later I traumatized them by moving them to a little tank. Every time I walk by the 10 gal they hide, and peak around the japonica at me. I hope they make it. I was getting attached to them.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unless you did something wrong while setting up the tank, then the lfs is to be blamed. For a new tank, try to fill it up with water and let it stand for hours. If it hasn't leak, then the tank should be ok.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Man, sorry to hear about your troubles! I agree, the LFS should refund or exchange that tank. Just ridiculous.

Out of curiousity, did you catch the leak before your floor got soaked? This has always been a recurring nightmare of mine!

Also, if you put the plants in a bucket with a bubbler, and a little sunlight (indirect even) they will last at least a week. That's assuming they aren't really sensitive plants.

Cories are pretty hardy too. I think they will be alright. Just make sure the holding tank is well-oxygenated.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what I could've done wrong. At least it didn't come pouring out. It was just a drip. I heard a funny noise, then noticed it was dripping. I guess big water changes are out if I decide to continue with another tank. The water change is what precluded the leak. I had it setup with substrate and water for quite a few days prior.

I have my emporer 280 on the 10 gallon tank. I would think that much movement should aerate that small tank pretty good.

I wonder if an acrylic tank would be a better choice to continue with.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Really sorry to hear about the leak. Had 1 once in a 37 saltwater that got a cracked after the floor settled, while I was out.

I'm sorry to say that I really doubt the leak was caused by the large water change.
I've done 75 - 80% in my 7 year old 55 gallon, and the same in my new 125 with no ill effects.
Now you said that the tank was level, before and after the leak.
Do you have any rocks that could have fallen or bumped against the bottom?

Also whenever I set up a new tank (like bluebell said), I usually put it in the tub (if small or backyard if large) on a layer of newspaper, fill it and let it sit for a few hours. Newspaper is a great way to find water. I used to work in a fish store, and I've seen a couple bad silicone jobs while I worked there. Nothing worst than finding a leak in a tank that has inhabitants.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode