DIY Co2 mixing problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello everyone!

Here is my problem, I have been trying to get my diy yeast co2 to produce enough co2 to give me roughly 15ppm but with no such luck.

I have been using brand new Flieshmans yeast and C&H pure cane sugar along with my tap water which comes out of a filter that is filtered by some special activated carbon and has a ph of 7.5 so it is a tad hard.

Here is what I have tried:

The first time I tried mixing 2 cups sugar with a 1/4 tsp of Yeast and filled the 2 liter bottle to within about 3" from the top. Waited about 3 days and was getting about 6.641 ppm of co2 (which I got from chucks calculator using the ph of 7.5 and the kh of 7). I have the return line for the co2 going into my tetratec hob filter inlet. When I look at the line pumping co2 it seems to build up enough pressure to push a almost stream of co2 every 30 seconds or so.

The second time I tried the same as above just to make sure everything is okay oh and btw I make sure the water is pretty tepid and I shake it for at least a minute before attaching it.

The second time I adjusted the recipe a little this time I added 1/2 tsp of yeast to 2 cups sugar and filled the bottle with tepid water to almost the top and after 3 days, get the same results as before.

The third time I tried mixing a 1/4 tsp of yeast with a 1/4 of sugar with just enough water to make a semi thick mixture in a seperate container, I let that set to the side for 15 minutes. Meanwhile I mix a 1/4 tsp of yeast with 2 cups of sugar and about 6 cups of water or about halfway to the top of the two liter bottle. I then shake the hell out of this mixture for about a minute, cap it and wait till the original mixture is done. Then I recombine them and shake again for over a minute and attach. Again with the same results as before!

I know some co2 is getting in their because some of my plants are pearling, the anubia pearl like crazy, while the sagitaria, corkscrew val, and rotala macranda pearl a bit (I mean a bit). Also I can see tons of bubbles leaving the plants and collecting on the surface. So I guess the co2 requirments of anubia are low or could some test be off?

Or because my water is hard should I be mixing diffirently?

Or should I have two bottles on the tank?

It is a 29 gallon tank. with about 50 lbs pea gravel that has been in the tank for over a year and has a nice amount of mulm in it.

Thanks for any advice on this!

29 Gallon Standard Moderate Light Planted tank
Lighting: 2x27 Watt 6500k P.C. Lights of America Outdoor Fixtures. 2x 20 Watt N.O. Flor. w/ Sylvania Gro Bulbs (9350k I think). Both are retrofited into a diy 12" tall canopy, with a 4" Diameter Clip on fan facing the opening in the back to circulate the excessive heat from the lighting.
Filtration: Tetra Tech 150 (modified to make very little disturbance.
Aquarium Systems Mini-jet for more circulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are finding out that DIY CO2 might work for a smaller tank. But for a 29 gallon with a HOB you really need to run a minimum of 4 liters of solution. I would recommend two bottles and swap one out every couple of weeks. Also if you can get some wine yeast you will be better off as it will last longer and work better at cooler temps. Bread yeast is designed to work best at 85° to 105° Also you might want to look into some sort of reactor to better diffuse the CO2 into the water column.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rex,

Thank-you for your timely reply!

Question, where do you get wine yeast? How much should it run?

Also you dont think the hob filter is good enough at breaking up the co2?

If not which diy reactor would you recommend?

Lighting: 2x27 Watt 6500k P.C. Lights of America Outdoor Fixtures. 2x 20 Watt N.O. Flor. w/ Sylvania Gro Bulbs (9350k I think). Both are retrofited into a diy 12" tall canopy, with a 4" Diameter Clip on fan facing the opening in the back to circulate the excessive heat from the lighting.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can get wine yeast at any home brew or wine making shop. I pay $0.65 a package for it.

No I don't think a HOB is a good way to diffuse CO2 into the water column. A good reactor would be something like the mini-Vortex which you can find at the AquaBotanic.com store.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey thanks again! I will have to check out that reactor. I see you dont believe in any of the diy reactors then?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I built one out of a gravel vac and power head one time for my 29 gallon. I still could not get decent CO2 levels. Once I built my own external reactor and plumbed it into the output of my cannister filter I got great CO2 levels. In fact I had to cut my bubble rate in half and ended up with twice as much CO2 in the water as I had before.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That reactor you recommend is pretty nice man!! I like that it is 4"x4", pretty damn affordable too.

Thanks!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use the Hagen one (think its marketed as nutrifin) only using 1.5L on 100litre tank have second bottle but almost never use it except when changing over bottles...

Quite frankly my CO2 tends to be more on the topside of what is exceptable and I am running a hobfilter just for surface agitation....
I suppose the fact that my water is softer than yours kind of makes this neccary (am learing how to harden it still), otherwise my pH goes a little too low.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update,

Added another reactor and am happy to say the co2 level went from 6.647 to 7.2-9ppm (unfortunately my tetra ph test kit goes from 7.0 to 7.5 so its kinda hard to tell where the ph is inbetween, hence the funky range for the Co2).

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Look around and find a Wardley's midrange pH test kit. I know that PetCo carries them here.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used to run two 2l bottles (changed one every couple of weeks) hooked up to a DIY gravel vac reactor. I was able to get the desired amount of CO2 in the water. I always mixed about 1.5-1.75 cups of sugar to 1/4 tsp. of yeast (run of the mill yeast) with enough water to fill it up to the round part of the pop bottle. I was lucky enough to put mine near a heat vent so they were always warm. You might want to try putting yours in a bucket with water an a heater to keep them a constant temperature.

I don't know what kind of HOB filter you have but you might want to look into doing something like Wasserpest did (and myself after following his lead) and add a coarse filter to the HOB filter. It really cuts down the srafce agitation. Check it out about half way down the thread.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2993
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 02:10 PM

Your problem isn't so much CO2 production, but diffusion. I too like the 'ladder' diffuser that comes with the Hagen/Nutrafin kit. You can get JUST the diffuser at dr. foster & smith website for like $8. with 2 2liter bottles and that diffuser, you'd have more than enough CO2 in the water (I accidentaly got mine to 60ppm one day!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode