Co2 Tank Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Co2 Tank Question

I'm looking for a CO2 tank for my 24 gallon aquarium. I plan to house the tank under the tank stand (end table thing). I will be drilling and mounting everything inside the cabinet.

I was looking on ebay and I see that older Steel tanks are pretty cheap. Is there a reason I should spend more on aluminum?

Basicaly the steel tanks appear to be more compact, and I'm limited to 20 inches inside the stand/cabinet. As far as I can see, on ebay, it appears that I can fit a 5lb aluminum tank, or a 10lb steel tank.

I'm not sure when the tanks were last serviced on ebay either. I guess it's kind of a gamble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I too looked on EBay before purchasing a new 5lb aluminum tank. As you mentioned, the certification date can be a problem. I also found that used aluminum tanks were getting bid up as high as new ones. I got mine here for a reasonable price with shipping: Aluminum Co2 Cylinders

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
My 5# steel CO2 cylinders are a little less than 18" tall. This is the length from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the open/close knob. It doesn't include the regulator.

I just swap my CO2 cylinders out. Sometimes I get aluminum ones and sometimes I get steel ones from the welding supply store.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
Aluminum tanks are much lighter and look a little nicer. That's about it. If you don't care about the weight or how it looks then get a steel cylinder.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok so just looks and weight, no big deal since it will be hidde anyways. I found a steel CO2 10# tank on ebay that is only 17.5 inches tall. I woudl assume there should be a way to make this fit with an Azoon regulator, and it should only need to be changed about once every year or so on a 24 gallon?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I would also check with local sources for co2, If the only way you can get more gas is to do an exchange, then get the cheapest tank you can find and trade it in! They dont even look at my tank when I bring it back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't even know what my sources are yet, but living outside of LA I'm sure I have options!

I want to make sure I get a tank that will fit, it would suck to have to build a new cabinet just because the tank I traded for is larger.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:47 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
I don't even know what my sources are yet, but living outside of LA I'm sure I have options!

I want to make sure I get a tank that will fit, it would suck to have to build a new cabinet just because the tank I traded for is larger.
If you buy a 5 lb tank from ebay, make sure that the date of inspection is on it, an it hasn't expired.

Also, the cheapest sources are usually welding supply stores. They will just swap ya tanks. Usually around $15. If you get a 5 lb tank they will only give you a 5 lb tank back. Nothing larger...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

right but some 5lb tanks are taller than others. It appears in fact that a 5lb Aluminum tank is slightly taller than some steel 10lb tanks on ebay.

About how long would a 5lb tank last on a 24 gallon tank anyways?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
right but some 5lb tanks are taller than others. It appears in fact that a 5lb Aluminum tank is slightly taller than some steel 10lb tanks on ebay.

About how long would a 5lb tank last on a 24 gallon tank anyways?
Never seen any difference in 5 lb tank sizes myself, but that doesn't mean it isn't so....

A 5 lb tank on a 24 gallon would last ya for 4-6 months depending on your reactor, an input rate.(BPS)
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking to use a bubble counter, like the red seas one I have on my 20 gallon with DIY Co2. It sticks right on the side of the tank. It is one of the few (actualy only) pieces of equipment I don't mind visable.

I will probably end up purchasing a second setup later for my other tanks as well. I'm planning to put the 24 gallon on the opposite side of my bed room which would make sharing the tank a PITA.

I will be using the red seas 500 venturi diffuser (100%) difusion in the sump on the back of the 24 gallon.

If I have to I can probably cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet to gain another 2 inches as well. I'd really like to fit a 10# tank in there...

I have been hearing that it is cheaper and easier to find a place that will swap tanks rather than refill the one I purchase. What is the point in purchasing a nice tank then? How can I be sure that the one they swap will have the same dimensions as the one I bring to the refil place?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
if your limited to size there will be no guarantee if they only swap tanks.you need to find your source first and see what options you will have as far as refilling or swapping.if your space is limited then you cant swap and should buy an aluminum tank because aluminum last longer and doesn't rust as easily.i think the amount of times you can certify an aluminum tank is more than steel so if you stay in the hobby long enough you will save some money.I'm pretty sure if you swap tanks they will get mad if you try to specify which tank you want.
also if you buy a tank and do refills you usually have to leave it there for at least a day.it doesn't matter that much as your plants will survive.just something to consider if you live a distance away from the refill location.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetics808 View Post
if your limited to size there will be no guarantee if they only swap tanks.you need to find your source first and see what options you will have as far as refilling or swapping.if your space is limited then you cant swap and should buy an aluminum tank because aluminum last longer and doesn't rust as easily.i think the amount of times you can certify an aluminum tank is more than steel so if you stay in the hobby long enough you will save some money.I'm pretty sure if you swap tanks they will get mad if you try to specify which tank you want.
also if you buy a tank and do refills you usually have to leave it there for at least a day.it doesn't matter that much as your plants will survive.just something to consider if you live a distance away from the refill location.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

K first of all, a welding supply shop will swap any tank you have with the exact same size!!

Telling him to buy an aluminium tank is pointless, since the shop you bring it to will give you what they have, not what you want.

I have never had to leave a tank anywhere for a day. I go in, give them the tank, an they simply give me another full one. Who cares if it is aluminium or steel?? The plants sure dont!!

A 5lb tank is a 5 lb tank no matter where ya get it exchanged at....A store isn't going to give you a 10 lb tank in exchange for a 5 lb tank That is a fact!!

It really isn't as hard as you are making this out to be!!

justintoxicated....You dont need a 10 lb tank! A 5 lb will fit yer cabinet just fine, an you wont have any modifications to do. Will last ya months, an refillin is as easy as gettin yer propane tank for the BB Que refilled. Not a big deal!!!!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So it's like Keg's back in college. I always liked it when I got a nice new Keg to keep. Once or twice I got some in such bad shape I had to find a place that would exchange them.

So now I jsut need to figure out what my options are. Where is a good place to find this information out? Yellow pages?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode