Is PMDD Pre-Mix from greg watson... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is PMDD Pre-Mix from greg watson...

Is the PMDD Pre-Mix from greg watson an all in one fertalize? If so how much would i dose on a 55g tank? If this is not an all in one, then which ferts to you think i should buy and how should i doe these? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Plantex is to fertalize micro's. Now you need Macros (N nitrogen, P phosphate, K potasium).
Take a loot at Rex's site
Lots of great info there. It helped me out a lot in the beginning.

Then take a look at the dosing sticky here

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
taz; CSM+B Plantex is the purely trace stuff micro's
PMDD Pre-Mix includes nitrates & potassium but not phosphates,
so PMDD is the closest thing to an all in one fertilizer Greg has.

Derek, I advise you to test your nitrates and phosphates before buying PMDD as they are often high especially in a recently established tank, so you certainly don't want to add to them with your ferts. I recommend you get CSM+B, then separately buy KH2PO4, MgSO4, also KNO3 and K2SO4 so you can control their dosing as your testing levels require them. always use the K2SO4 and MgSO4 with the CSM+B, then add KH2PO4 and KNO3 as needed.

Derek; this is probably intimidating, so let me simplify matters for you. people use gregs dry ferts for two reasons;
-dry ferts are far cheaper to dose than bottled liquids.
-dry ferts allow you to control specific mineral levels.
so if you simply want something simple and cheap, then you can't go wrong with PMDD. but if you expect your appreciation for the finer points of plant husbandry to mature, then you will want to have better control over your dosing regime, so buying the component minerals rather than the premix will give you the tools to do that.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thanks for that catch mixed up my plantex with the PMDD.
Spypet is correct.

Sorry for the bad info.
I've never used PMDD, so sorry I can't help.

I'm going to go remove my foot from another body part now.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I believe that Greg mixes the Sears Conlin PMDD formula
1 part Plantex CSM (micros)
1 part MgSO4 (Magnesium sulfate)
2 parts K2SO4 (Potassium sulfate)
1 part Kno3 (Potassium nitrate)

At least that is what is on his bags of the separate stuff.

The problem with PMDD is that is cannot be tweaked, if your tap water is high in nitrates, or if you have a heavy fish load, then you should add less nitrates as fertilizer, if it is pre mixed you don't have that option

'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode