allergic reactions ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
allergic reactions ?

Hey all

Has anyone heard of any allergic reactions to Aquarium plants or any of the ferts used?

Dan

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Hagen ladder - DIY 2 liter
Eco complete(2 bag)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Have you been snorting the CSM+B again???

This article makes mention of allergies, but not directly related to the tank or plants but from mold that occurs outside of the tank:
The Open Aquarium, by Claus Christensen

This article makes mention of allergies to aquatic plants that pollenate:
Water Garden News Magazine

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LOL !! Good one !!

But seriously my hand have broken out with something and I don't know what it is. First it was the right hand (The one I use to use to work inside the tank) then the left hand when I started using it to work inside the tank. It's so bad I'm going to see a dermo next week.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
Have you been snorting the CSM+B again

This article makes mention of allergies, but not directly related to the tank or plants but from mold that occurs outside of the tank:
The Open Aquarium, by Claus Christensen

This article makes mention of allergies to aquatic plants that pollenate:
Water Garden News Magazine

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Eco complete(2 bag)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Ouch, sounds uncomfortable.

I've never had an allergic reaction per se. When I cut up my big slabs of frozen brine shrimp, my hands BURN for about 2 hours. This sounds much more serious though.

Hope you start feeling better!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Many people are allergic to blood worms - especially the freeze dried ones.

I hope you feel better!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
Many people are allergic to blood worms - especially the freeze dried ones.

I hope you feel better!
Wow and I thought I was the only one. Frozen bloodworms are the worst for me.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Be very careful that you NEVER breath in the dust from freeze dried Huy! It could kill you!

I <3 Eheim #195
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 AM

PTrader: (53/100%)
I have great deal of problems with allergic reactions and have found only one aquarium plant that bothered me and it is hornwort. I do have to be careful of bloodworms and also plant fertlizers. Do you notice the problem after adding anything to your water or after feeding the fish.
omboocat
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Be very careful that you NEVER breath in the dust from freeze dried Huy! It could kill you!
Really? Thanks for the heads up! I don't think that I will be buying any type of bloodworm based food any time soon... So why is it deadly?...would the dust cause my lungs to swell up or something?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omboocat View Post
one aquarium plant that bothered me and it is hornwort.
omboo, that's interesting. I hated that sickly evergreen smell too when I first started my tank and had to use that weed. was so glad when I finally got rid of it all.

if you have a lot of allergies outside of the aquarium hobby, i guess that's your sensitivity. but if something in the hobby makes you specifically irritated you may want to consult with an allergist to help identify exactly what it is. you never know, you may be exposed to the same thing under different circumstance and want to avoid any more serious reaction.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:56 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds11375 View Post
Hey all

Has anyone heard of any allergic reactions to Aquarium plants or any of the ferts used?

Dan
There is definitely a possibility one could be allergic to plants or aquarium additives. The key is to narrow it down then get rid of the causative irritant. The other alternative is do what I do, and that is take antihistamines for the rest of your life, because I refuse to get rid of my dogs and cats...lol'
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have seen elbow-length or longer gloves advertised for sale at at least one big internet site (Smith & Foster): here you go

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113166

I would give these a try--avoiding exposure to whatever it is that you are allergic to may be the most effective route to go.

Karla
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So why is it deadly?...would the dust cause my lungs to swell up or something?
To people with a serious allergy to them, yes - that's exactly what can happen! There is a guy in my local club who can't stand to be in the same ROOM with an opened package of freeze dried blood worms. He has to be really careful, especially visiting LFS, or he starts to have a very hard time breathing. Thankfully there has never been an emergency, but he always said that if he took a big sniff off an opened package, he didn't think he'd survive.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
To people with a serious allergy to them, yes - that's exactly what can happen! There is a guy in my local club who can't stand to be in the same ROOM with an opened package of freeze dried blood worms. He has to be really careful, especially visiting LFS, or he starts to have a very hard time breathing. Thankfully there has never been an emergency, but he always said that if he took a big sniff off an opened package, he didn't think he'd survive.
Wow what a weird and unpleasant way to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds11375 View Post
LOL !! Good one !!

But seriously my hand have broken out with something and I don't know what it is. First it was the right hand (The one I use to use to work inside the tank) then the left hand when I started using it to work inside the tank. It's so bad I'm going to see a dermo next week.

Dan
Get well soon! I've experienced plenty of allergic reactions so I feel your pain.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It seems to get worse after I work inside the tank. I was doing some research on line and think I came across what I might have. it's called Pustular Psoriasis. Now it all seemed to have started around the same time I got my tank up and running so I don't know if something in the tank triggered it or if it's all a BIG coinsidence Hopefully I'll find out what it is when I see the Dermo on Monday.

Tks for your input.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by omboocat View Post
I have great deal of problems with allergic reactions and have found only one aquarium plant that bothered me and it is hornwort. I do have to be careful of bloodworms and also plant fertlizers. Do you notice the problem after adding anything to your water or after feeding the fish.
omboocat

20 Gallon High
A H 55 Watt 6700 k Bulb
EHEIM 2215
50 Watt Heater
Eco complete(2 bag)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode