Best algae-eating snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Best algae-eating snails

Hey guys. I'm looking for some snails that I can put in my Oscar and Convict tank to clean up some lingering algae. I know you're probably going to tell me that they won't last long in that tank, but those 2 fish haven't eaten any live food I've given them in the past month and were mostly vegetarian before that.

I'd also like to consider putting a few in my 10g planted hex also. So I'm looking for snails that are great algae eaters and that won't do much damage in my planted tank as well. I'm considering Malaysian Trumpets, Red Ramshorns and Pond snails. I'm leaning against the MTSs because of their burrowing tendencies (especially since my tank is pretty new), but will not rule them out unless you guys convince me to.

So what's the best algae-eater out there?

Thanks!

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have all three that you named, and they are all good! Some people don't like pond snails, but I've never seen any evidence of damage by them on my plants. MTS burrowing is not a bad thing. It keeps the substrate aerated and certainly doesn't hurt anything You might also look at olive nerites and mystery snails.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
IME, ramshorns, nerites, and physa snails are all good at eating algae. I have all three of them and they do a good job at cleaning surfaces.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Actually Jen, now that I think about it, the MTSs might be perfect. If they'll burrow in the substrate of the Oscar tank, they'll probably last longer if he suddenly gets a snail appetite and I can just leave them in there until everything roots a little better in my planted tank. MTSs it is then.

Thanks marinkus for your reply, too!

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode