New 10 gallon help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 10 gallon help

Hi,
So I attempted a planted tank before but didn't do it 100% and did not get much growth at all. I didn't have any CO2 and was relying on the florescent light from the tank kit. This time I'm trying to do it right and just needed some advice from some more experienced people. I read the beginner tank advice so I know a lot more. I'm also on a really tight budget so I am trying to save as much money as possible, but still spend money where its needed. Here's what I'm planning on getting.

10 gallon tank

Incandescent hood
Will this one be good enough and give me high lighting?
Can I put 2 15W bulbs in if it says 2 25W bulbs?

Any recommendations for 2 low budget cfls that are 6500k?

DIY CO2
- 2 liter bottle, tubing and check valve into aquaclear filter
Any suggestions on a good sealant and does this seem sufficient for CO2?

A CO2 checker
Any recommendations? I was just going to get a cheap one off ebay

9 liters of ADA Aquasoil
I think this will be more than enough. Where is the cheapest place to buy this?

I am thinking of putting some blue stone inside. What size/lb rocks should I be ordering to fill out a 10 gallon nicely? And how many of each?

I am just trying to support a full carpeting plant. Haven't decided what kind yet but preferrably something that doesnt grow too high since the tank is relatively small. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know there's a lot here, but I just want to make sure I have everything covered before I try again and just wanted a few suggestions for a couple areas I wasn't sure about. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think you might find you have a bit too much light. I would go with about 20 watts, or even 15w instead. For smaller tanks you need less. And I would use a powerhead for the co2, for better distribution

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I have switched from the hood to going with 2 shop lights from home depot with 2 15watt cfls in them. I'm also planning on running the CO2 into a Aquaclear 30 so I think that should provide enough flow in a 10 gallon tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

I suggest the powerhead for chopping up the co2 bubbles, not for increased flow.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok I will look into adding one of those also. Where could I find cheap aquascaping stones? How much would I need for a 10 gallon tank? Are there members here that sell their extra ones?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
As for your lighting. I also have a 10 gallon tank and I use one 18 watt spiral cfl that is in a goose neck desk lamp style fixture. It's actually an old fixture from my turtle keeping days. This one light does great for my 10 gallon, producing minimal algae and plants are doing great. I also don't have CO2, and CO2 isn't required to have a great tank, if you want to skip that step. There are many who have great low tech setups without any CO2 injection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode