A Whole Tank of MElting Plants OIY! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all, here's what i did, I tore down my 10G tank and replaced the soil substrate with 1 bag of eco-complete. I filled in completely new water and put the plants back in.... they were bubbling like crazy as soon as i put them in...pearling and bubbling... which was weird because i did this at night time and there shouldn't be sufficient light and co2 for them to pearl ..so they were not photosynthesizing... but afterwards, in a matter of days, i noticed that all my plants are melting............ even the easiest plants in the world, vals, ferns, moss, etc....are melting.....why oh why???

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:35 PM
law

Hey -- I think the same thing is happening to an amazon sword and banana plant of mine. Both are letting off a steady stream of bubbles, but only from melting leaves. I just added a few extra light bulbs around the tank because I'm a total newbie and didn't think I had enough lights. Could it be too much light burning up the leaves?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

no no, thanks for the reply, but that's not the case. these plants were growing just fine before, in fact, they were branching and growing pretty well, and then i do the substrate switch and this happens...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have seen plants melt from excessive stress, but they are usually Crypt's.... Is there any other info you can provide, such as a change in temp, water conditions, how long were the plants out of the water????

I have read recently that when crypts melt they can sometimes take other plants with them... I will try and find the article...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:27 PM

I have had plants melt when moving them from one tank to another. I suspect that it had something to do with a change in the spectrum of the lighting. But they quickly shot out new leaves and established themselves again.

Leaves that are damaged can show a type of pearling activity. This is why you see a steady stream of bubbles from freshly cut plants. Seems somewhat akin to bleeding for a plant.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

jason, um... other info?? um....not sure what else to say... it was a 100% complete change of water....

you know david, i believe that my plants were in fact damaged from the move. bleeding of the plant, man that's so sad.. man i feel so bad when i kill plants...it reminds me of when i first started having fish as pets and the first ones i killed cuz i didn't know about the ammonia cycle... sigh.... with plants it's a much slower death to watch.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 05:11 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Good choice on the substrate...

What's your lighting in there? Why not add some CO2? Getting the pH down a little sure wouldn't hurt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 05:12 AM

Only time I've seen a full tank "melt" was due to water that got too hot (due to heater malfunction).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have any way to find out if there was a massive change in water quality? Since this is happening to such a wide variety of plants, water colum feeders as well as rooted plants, my "guess" is a very extreme change in water chemistry, or something toxic is in the water.

Since the moss and fern are water feeders the new substraite should not affect them, other then if something toxic somehow got transfered into the tank via something accidentally falling into it. Only other thing I can think of is those plants got damaged when you moved em out to replace the substraite.

If its not too late, and the plants aren't completely destroyed, run some carbon for a bit just incase something toxic got in the water.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
jason, um... other info?? um....not sure what else to say... it was a 100% complete change of water....

you know david, i believe that my plants were in fact damaged from the move. bleeding of the plant, man that's so sad.. man i feel so bad when i kill plants...it reminds me of when i first started having fish as pets and the first ones i killed cuz i didn't know about the ammonia cycle... sigh.... with plants it's a much slower death to watch.
You should have reused the water from the tank, not completely changed the water. You basically restarted the tank from scratch and the plants couldn't take the shock. Did you sterilize the filter while you were at it? :roll:

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:53 PM

You don't mention how the plants were stored during this change out. Were they submerged in a bucket of water, or left out in the exposed air. if htey were exposed for 30 mins, that would explain it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode