Livestock suggestions for cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
Livestock suggestions for cycling

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on (small and cheaper) livestock to put in the tank today. I've been reading quite a bit, bit I'm ore confused than ever and I don't know what fish I ultimatly want to end up with.

Right now I have around 30 or so stems of stargrass, 7-8? stems of blyxa japonica, and a few stems hygro ceylon in my tank with no critters. The ceylon is looking bad, the blyxa is looking rough. I want to get some critters in the tank today.

50 gal tank, diy co2 is ready except for the check valve (will pick up when I go get my critters). I have some potassium nitrate and phosphate, and CSM+B ordered (awaiting delivery). I also have a bottle of Kent freshwater plant that I added two capfulls to my tank yesterday. Light is 2watts per gallon, but will double today once I get the co2 in.

Parameters:

Tank water
GH 42 drops, about 6 to change to initial color
KH straight to second color
PH 8.3
NH3/NH4 0 - .25
NO2 < 0.3

Tap Water
GH 8
KH 5
PH 8.3

I want to start with the clean up crew (since I have some brown stringy algae), and my plans are for maybe a half dozen assorted cories. some amono/cherry shrimp (whatever is available) and maybe some ottos - but I have no driftwood, and I'm not sure if I'm going to add any.

I'm questioning the shrimp since I won't be able to vacuum the gravel with them in there. I read that with shrimp you don't need to vacuum, but some reassurance would be appreciated. I also read that clean up crew is not nesseccary if your chemistry is correct.

Thanks!

Last edited by edacsac; 11-19-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
are you looking for cycling or clean up crew? I would get a bunch of ottos and shrimp. You do not need to clean the substrate with a good crew, unless you have to aesthetically, think white sand and fish poop. I also like cories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks lumpyfunk.

The way I'm seeing things, the plants use the ammonias and my plants are looking bad. So I wanted to get at least a couple of fish to get things rolling, and figured I would start with a cleaning crew. Plus, the tank has to cycle sometime.

But I ended up getting 8 ghost shrimp, 2 green cories and two fancy tailed guppies. One of the guppies died within 6 hours. The cories are happy though.

I don't know if the fish can find the food though. I have veggie pellets and shrimp pellets that sink, and the only ones eating (oddly enough) are the shrimp. The cories managed to find some shrimp pellets yesterday, but I don't know about today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk View Post
are you looking for cycling or clean up crew? I would get a bunch of ottos and shrimp. You do not need to clean the substrate with a good crew, unless you have to aesthetically, think white sand and fish poop. I also like cories.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode