Neon tetra spawning behaviour - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Neon tetra spawning behaviour

Yesterday my neon tetras starting showing spawning behavior, for about an hour they chased each other like crazy, they would spiral and dance around each other and the males would drive the females into the moss and roots of the floating water sprite and rub all over them.

Today the females look slimmer although I didn't actually see any eggs drop. I have read the eggs are sensitive and most likely won't be viable and I'm not really interested in trying to breed them so I haven't removed the adults but the whole ritual was fascinating!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"No human being, however great or powerful ,was ever so free as a fish"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are doing it again today. Not as much... yesterday it was all of them, today it just seems to be the largest male and 2 females. I did however see both females drop eggs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Algae Grower

Very cool. Says a lot about your tank conditions. If your fish weren't happy they wouldn't spawn.
Rodney

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have turned off the light just incase a few are viable and manage to keep hidden in the moss. I'm pretty excited even if I don't get fry.

The water in my area is very soft at 2.2dgh but the tap water pH has risen from 6.5 to just above 7 in the last week, so I don't know if the gh was affected. To be honest spawning was the last thing I expected with the pH rise.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Neons are a difficult fish to breed and raise the fry. The fry are very small, and traditionally they need to be started on infusoria. It's quite a job.

But, if you have fish laying eggs, you might want to set up a breeding tank and go through the time and effort to propagate them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Neons are a difficult fish to breed and raise the fry. The fry are very small, and traditionally they need to be started on infusoria. It's quite a job.

But, if you have fish laying eggs, you might want to set up a breeding tank and go through the time and effort to propagate them.
I don't think I can be bothered doing a whole breeding setup. If any eggs survive that it's just free live food for everyone else...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Algae Grower

I use a hang-on breeder box and Hikari First Bites to raise fry, if you see yours hatch and get tempted to raise them With an air pump it moves tank water into the box so no shock to the fry when you move them. Also, First Bites is like powder, dust, really, and I imagine would be small enough for the mouths of fry that like infusoria. When I saw my first platy fry I was in love and rushed out to get the h/o breeder box.

29G planted, low tech: Anubias, Crypt. spiralis, Java fern, Java moss, Christmas moss, floating Ceratotopsis
6 platys, 6 black skirt tetras, 10 neons, 6 glo-light tetras
50G high tech, a tank of rescues: 12' pleco, clown loach, striped raphaelle catfish
platy/community tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode