Help me Aquascape 24G for Dwarf Puffer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Help me Aquascape 24G for Dwarf Puffer

Dwarf Puffers need lots of plants to break up their line of vision.

I just purchased a 24 gallon Aquapod and plant to put maybe 3 or 4 DP's in it with a group of Ottos.

I'm thinking to go with some kind of amazon like biotype. I know the DP's origionated in India (but not sure what kind of biotype they come from, amazon?)

I'm waiting till the LFS gets more ADA Amazonia (they are all out but have other ADA substrates) Not because of the name but because it is darker than their others and I feel it will provide good contrast. I'm trying to decide if I should use any kind of sand in there or not as well (I have never used sand before).

I'm not really sure what I want to do with this tank, but I'm thinking driftwood would be better for puffers than rocks as it would give them more places to hide / more natural look? All my tanks have driftwood though and none of them have any rocks so I'm very open to suggestions. ADA driftwood is very nice but kinda expensive I paid $25 for the small piece in the 20 gallon community tank.

Am I correct in putting the puffers and Ottos in an amazon bio type? Since this is a species tank, I want it to have more of a theme than my community and guppy/shrimp tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found this link.

Dwarf Puffers : Native Plants

They recomend a redish substrate, so I'm wondering if I shold try a different aquasoil other than Amazonia (can't remember exactly what color the amazonia is since I have never sceen it in person in a tank. I just like it because it was darker which would contrast the DP nicely.

Actualy I have flourite already, I was just wanting to try something different but the link recomends Flourite Red? Which ADA substrate should I go with?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have 7 in a 30 gallon planted tank. The challenge has always been algae control without snails, as the puffers eat snails. I have a 55w AHS lamp which shines alot of light over the center of the tank, and I can grow many plants. I feed them live bloodworms twice a day. This keeps them very full. As a result, I can keep cherry shrimp and dwarf crayfish with them puffers. Using Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil which is a reddish hue. There's a lot I can do, but severe limitations, such as they nip fins of other fish. All being said, they are a delightful little fish. As you can see from my link, there are big rocks.
Mark

Mark

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for your help. I heard Oto's are typicaly good puffer tankmates, although sometimes the puffers will still nip them anyways I think I will try Oto's first and see how they do.

After I plant the tank heavily, do I still need to do a fishless cycle or can I toss in a bunch of media from my other 3 established tanks, maybe even put one of the established filters into the tank from a tank I'm taking down?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
if you go with ADA be aware that it will leech ammonia for a few weeks so you will have to wait before putting anything other then plants into the tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was actually looking into starting a DP planted tank. I was planning on keeping them with Plecos, and a few Synodontis...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
check out my tank, I just bought 5 DP's for it, they seem to like it!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the heads up on the ADA soil, I will likely not be stocking the tank for some time. It will have pressurized CO2, modified cooling fans, and maybe an auto doser after I figure out the dosing. Everything will go under the stand uncluding power strips, timers etc!

Have you had any agression problems with your DP's skiboarder72?

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 11-22-2006 at 12:47 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Thanks for teh heads up on the ADA soil, I will likely not be stocking the tank for some time. It will have pressurized CO2, modified cooling fans, and maybe an auto doser after I figure out the dosing. Everythign will go under the stand uncluding power strips, timers etc!

Have you had any agression problems with your DP's skiboarder72?
not yet, they are youngings, I may go get 2 more... with 2-3 per gallon I should still be in safe limits, there is the occasional chase/nip but thats to be expected, I wish they were a little bigger I can never seem to find them in my tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode